• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone worked in Dubai

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone worked in Dubai

I have on offer a 3 month contract in Dubai...its not amazing money but it is pretty much what I'd earn over here and as a new contractor I am keep to start earning before my redundancy cheque starts to deplete!

I understand that I am not going to benefit from tax-free earning as I will be hit by our friend Mr. Brown as soon as I get back to the Uk which is a shame.

However, I am still tempted...has anyone done a short contract in Dubai and if so what was it like...what is the working culture like? How were you treated? Would you do it again?

Is there anything I need to give serious thought to that I might be missing?

Just take it, whatever the working culture is I mean hell. 3 months, and if it really is bad, which it probably isn't, just go home.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Go for it !!!!

If you dont try it you'll always regret not doing it, i'd personally rather look back and never have any regrets.

You have nothing to lose!

Comment

[QUOTE=NewBoy]I have on offer a 3 month contract in Dubai...its not amazing money but it is pretty much what I'd earn over here and as a new contractor I am keep to start earning before my redundancy cheque starts to deplete!

<snip>QUOTE]

I was in a very smilar position about 6 months back. Got made redundant after relocating for a company (with no relocation costs) and after only being there 2.5 months. I was offered a 15 month contract in Luxembourg.. I didn't know anything about luxembourg and I'd never been. they messed me around with the rate etc (wasn't a good deal) yet wanted me to be there within a week with no help with flights or accomodation. I decided to turn it down in the end but I have to admit there is a bit of me that regrets my decision.

Whilst at the time it seemed like a huge risk and a jump into the void (I knew nothing at all about contracting), it would have been a fantastic experience (and would have looked great on the CV). given the same situation now, I would go... it also helps having recovered from the confidence blow of being made redundant and being left in the financial sh*tter.

my advice... don't think about it, just do it. It's only 3 months and like the others have said, what's the worsed that can happen? you'll not like living there so you come home... terrible!

good luck matey!
        "Well behaved women rarely make history"

Comment

Originally posted by NetwkSupport
          Go for it !!!!

If you dont try it you'll always regret not doing it, i'd personally rather look back and never have any regrets.

You have nothing to lose!

Although I think they have the death sentence so behave yourself!

Comment

and they dont produce alcohol so its all imported.

ie 4.50 a pint

Comment

Originally posted by kimera
              and they dont produce alcohol so its all imported.

ie 4.50 a pint
              Had a drink on the Champs-Elysées recently?

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                Had a drink on the Champs-Elysées recently?
                Had quick pint and glass of wine in the heatwave a couple of years back. Outside on the terrace 1am (so it's the full set of price rises :-(). Still it was only 24 Euro. Nearly as expensive as St Marks Square.

Comment

Go for it...

I would say def go for it, but any idea what the costs of living are like over there? You would want to make the most of what Dubai had to offer.

Hey and it isn't too hot there at the moment either.

Let us know how you get on.

Comment

Originally posted by Perhentian
                    Hey and it isn't too hot there at the moment either.
                    Only if your definition of "not too hot" is 33-34C. Admittedly it can get hotter, but that's still hot in my book.

Comment

Working...
                    X