• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

probation period on contract????

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

probation period on contract????

Anyone ever come across this??

current contract is a 12month contract with the first 3 months being probationary period and the remaining 9 month are rolling.thought this would just be a permy thing to have....only contractor on remote site so big perm atmosphere.
    Last edited by SPURSN17; 22 July 2011, 15:45.

I agree, it sounds very permie to me too. I haven't come across that written in a contract, I don't see the point as if the contractor is cr@p they would boot them off site anyway

Comment

yeah.Stuck in a tiny office with another IT (brown-nosing) perm guy.very weird atmosphere.Wonder if me not renewing after 3 months would count as not completing the contract???

Comment

Originally posted by SPURSN17 View Post
        current contract is a 12month contract with the first 3 months being probationary period and the remaining 9 month are rolling
        Could be a fixed-term contract?
        Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
          Could be a fixed-term contract?
          Must be.

OP what kind of rate are you?

Comment

A couple of people have mentioned this in threads over the last few months so definately exists. I don't think a probationary period is a permie thing. Large global contracts can give the client the ability to terminate the supplier with resonable reasons in the early stages of the contract.

I don't think it is unreasonable. If I was taking someone on I would like to be able to word something in to get shot of them quickly if they are crap. Although if it were my contract I wouldn't like it in.

Have you checked the rest of your contract? Could be a total ignorance of contracting ways if you are the only contractor?

I agree, it sounds very permie to me too. I haven't come across that written in a contract, I don't see the point as if the contractor is cr@p they would boot them off site anyway
            And how would they boot them off site without a clause in the contract allowing them to do so? They could either terminate immediately for gross misconduct or give notice which I would think in this case will be a pretty long one. This gives them a middle option of getting him out quick with no particular reason early on.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 22 July 2011, 17:24.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

And how would they boot them off site without a clause in the contract allowing them to do so? They could either terminate immediately for gross misconduct or give notice which I would think in this case will be a pretty long one. This gives them a middle option of getting him out quick with no particular reason early on.
              I suppose it's just a different way having the clause that in the first x weeks either party/client can terminate with 1 day/weeks notice and the after the x weeks x days notice are needed.

However it does sound like it's drafted by someone who is only use to drafting permie employment contracts.

I would personally get the contract reviewed.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

A couple of people have mentioned this in threads over the last few months so definately exists. I don't think a probationary period is a permie thing. Large global contracts can give the client the ability to terminate the supplier with resonable reasons in the early stages of the contract.

I don't think it is unreasonable. If I was taking someone on I would like to be able to word something in to get shot of them quickly if they are crap. Although if it were my contract I wouldn't like it in.

Have you checked the rest of your contract? Could be a total ignorance of contracting ways if you are the only contractor?

So you're thinking it's an immediate termination clause for any reason in first 3 months?

Without more info from OP it'll be hard to judge.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                  So you're thinking it's an immediate termination clause for any reason in first 3 months?

Without more info from OP it'll be hard to judge.
                  That's what I reckon, unless it is a chance to let them go after the three months but that would be more like a 3 month contract with an extension so I think it will be as you say. If there was no immediate termination in that period what is the point of having it in?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I don't think a probationary period is a permie thing. Large global contracts can give the client the ability to terminate the supplier with resonable reasons in the early stages of the contract.
                    as can small non-global contracts, like the 7-day cooling off period you get when you buy a toaster. Though possibly the wording "probationary" doesn't bode well.

Comment

Working...
                    X