• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies Markup

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agencies Markup

What should or would be a typical combined markup be on a gig going through an agency and an consultancy company.

Also I know what the clientco is being paid, so am I able to divulge this information to help me get a rate rise on renewal?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by steveweaver View Post
    What should or would be a typical combined markup be on a gig going through an agency and an consultancy company.
    On renewal I would be aiming to get the agent's margin to <10% if possible. A bit tricky if you have a consultancy and and agency involved. What percentage of the client's money gets paid to you at the moment?
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Also I know what the clientco is being paid, so am I able to divulge this information to help me get a rate rise on renewal?

Thanks in advance.
      You want to know what a typical markup would be for both agency and consultancy.

If it's one of the big ones (e.g. IBM) upto 100% if they can.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
        On renewal I would be aiming to get the agent's margin to <10% if possible. A bit tricky if you have a consultancy and and agency involved. What percentage of the client's money gets paid to you at the moment?
        Well the consultancy company have quoted the price but not sure if it includes VAT, probably not?

If it doesnt include VAT then the markup is approx 30%, if it does then the markup is roughly 18%.

Comment

Well the consultancy company have quoted the price but not sure if it includes VAT, probably not?

If it doesnt include VAT then the markup is approx 30%, if it does then the markup is roughly 18%.
          30% Markup = about 22% margin.

In theory, the consultancy is taking 11%, and so is the agency.

Not alot of room in that IMO - agencies and consultancies (and every other business generally) measures profit on MARGIN, not markup.

The quoted price is Ex. VAT - I am 99.999% sure of that!
          "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
          SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

It will be ex-VAT
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

So effectively I am getting stung twice so to speak. I wouldnt mind the agencies markup/margin if they did something, so far the service has been appauling, lack of communication and paperwork, but once your stuck with an agency thats it I guess. Dont get me wrong have nothing against agencies :-p have had some really good ones in the past.

So in order to get a rate rise on renewal they would be looking to the clientco for this.

Thanks all.

Comment

So effectively I am getting stung twice so to speak.
                While some agencies do take the piss, thinking about it like this is not getting you anywhere.

You accepted the role at the rate offered. The agency offered the rate and you accepted. You didn't have to accept it, you could have negotiated. Maybe you did and the agent held fast.

This is the way it works unfortunately for us, the agencies currently have more candidates for roles, so they hold all the cards.

This is simple supply and demand, it's business.

Comment

So effectively I am getting stung twice so to speak. I wouldnt mind the agencies markup/margin if they did something, so far the service has been appauling, lack of communication and paperwork, but once your stuck with an agency thats it I guess. Dont get me wrong have nothing against agencies :-p have had some really good ones in the past.

So in order to get a rate rise on renewal they would be looking to the clientco for this.

Thanks all.
                  As far as I am concerned, you only stung yourself. If you are not happy with the set up, walk away and let someone else do the role. If you are not happy with the rate, you should have negotiated before you accepted the role.
                  If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I dont know why people are so sensitive about this lol.

I didnt sting myself, you misunderstood, I was just saying that it was a double hit rather than a single hit. I thought maybe the agency and the consultancy shared the margin, but apparently they dont.

I am happy with the role and I did negotiate at the start but the agent ignored me. I could of walked away if there were other contracts available.

All I was doing was establishing the facts of markup and if they were taking the piss why wouldnt anyone want to get a rate rise on renewal its maximising your market value.

Understand now??
                    Last edited by steveweaver; 21 July 2011, 10:54. Reason: Extra infp

Comment

Working...
                    X