• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going back to former client in a more junior role than before.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going back to former client in a more junior role than before.

Just had a pimp on about a role at a previous client, financials based in west yorks. I was there just over a year ago before I left to return to a regular client.

The role the pimp has is a more junior one than what I had last time I was with this client. A bit of a drop in pay but the main deal breaker for me is I know they dont let the lower role work from home. And, the distance I'd commute, 90 minutes each way on the train, means I'd want to wfh at least twice a week.

Pimp said to take the role and ask to wfh after 3 months. WTF is the point of that? They wont allow wfh at the start so wont allow it after 3 months, already been there anyway so I said I dont see the point in waiting 3 months to ask if I can wfh anyway.

So, as I've only started looking for roles this week, I turned it down. What's other people's opinion of going back to a client within 12 months in a more junior role than before?
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

If it meets the following criteria I don't have a problem. I am contracted to do a piece of work, I don't (to an extent) have any great ideas about myself that I see it being below me. But.... the criteria below must fit.

a) I am happy with the rate and the work
    b) I am happy with the conditions i.e wfh
    c) It won't dilute my skills or CV to the extent I lose the main focus of my speciality.

There has to be something in the role that I can put on my CV. I wouldn't be a Service Delivery Manager and then take a job developing BI reports. This would be difficult to put on my CV. If the role was something like deploying something through to live I could incorporate the move to BAU service in my CV so not diluting my skills set.

You are obviously not happy with this role so forget it.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

WNLUK said!

I might have been tempted to go for the interview anyway, and assuming it has went well, mention your previous stay and ability to WFH.

It might rule you out straight away, but at least you've been able to ask them directly. Things might have changed with that rule since you were last there.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        WNLUK said!

I might have been tempted to go for the interview anyway, and assuming it has went well, mention your previous stay and ability to WFH.

It might rule you out straight away, but at least you've been able to ask them directly. Things might have changed with that rule since you were last there.
        I did consider that but, I know this client doesnt permit the role on offer to wfh.

Im fortunate(!) in that I can be reasonably selective in the roles I want to follow up. I dont see the point in doing a near 4 hour commute (there and back including train waiting time) to go through process of turning down a job I wouldnt be happy with.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          I did consider that but, I know this client doesnt permit the role on offer to wfh.

Im fortunate(!) in that I can be reasonably selective in the roles I want to follow up. I dont see the point in doing a near 4 hour commute (there and back including train waiting time) to go through process of turning down a job I wouldnt be happy with.
          How long were you at the client site? Did you leave on good terms? If the client knows you are worth your rate, and may be more, they might make an exception to the rule. I have had this situation before; and Yes exceptions are always possible for deserving candidates.

Regarding Junior role; as NLUK has said, I dont care what name of the role is as long as I am happy with rate, and work conditions. Roles and profiles are for permies. My role is always Director of my Ltd company, and it just happens that I have multiple skills, and client needs one of them. The skills needed might be different at times.

HTH.

Comment

Just had a pimp on about a role at a previous client, financials based in west yorks. I was there just over a year ago before I left to return to a regular client.

The role the pimp has is a more junior one than what I had last time I was with this client. A bit of a drop in pay but the main deal breaker for me is I know they dont let the lower role work from home. And, the distance I'd commute, 90 minutes each way on the train, means I'd want to wfh at least twice a week.

Pimp said to take the role and ask to wfh after 3 months. WTF is the point of that? They wont allow wfh at the start so wont allow it after 3 months, already been there anyway so I said I dont see the point in waiting 3 months to ask if I can wfh anyway.

So, as I've only started looking for roles this week, I turned it down. What's other people's opinion of going back to a client within 12 months in a more junior role than before?
            I've found that, with one particular West Yorks based financial, the WFH element is best discussed with a senior manager when you're there. I was there from July to early Dec last year and refused an extension based on being pissed off with the travelling. Ended up agreeing to WFH 2 weeks out of 3 for three months. It wasn't in the contract and the agent knew nothing about it. Why should they ?

Why not approach the hiring manager (if you want the job that is). If you don't want the job, why are you wasting our time ? We could be reading about something important like MF's latest jealous fit, suity's daughter's name or Churchill's kidneys
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by rd409 View Post
              How long were you at the client site? Did you leave on good terms? If the client knows you are worth your rate, and may be more, they might make an exception to the rule. I have had this situation before; and Yes exceptions are always possible for deserving candidates.

Regarding Junior role; as NLUK has said, I dont care what name of the role is as long as I am happy with rate, and work conditions. Roles and profiles are for permies. My role is always Director of my Ltd company, and it just happens that I have multiple skills, and client needs one of them. The skills needed might be different at times.

HTH.
              Yes, I left on very good terms. They wanted me to extend but a previous client had also contacted me about a role that has lasted for over a year (and they permitted WFH and a 4 day week due to my travel).

I tend to disagree about going back and the name of the role. If its a first time on site, no problem with title but if you are going back, I consider a junior role and title will be detrimental if you return there again since they'll see you as that junior role.

OK, we can kid ourselves that as we are contractors, money is the most important but as I said, Im in a position were I tend to pick and choose my roles now.

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
              I've found that, with one particular West Yorks based financial, the WFH element is best discussed with a senior manager when you're there. I was there from July to early Dec last year and refused an extension based on being pissed off with the travelling. Ended up agreeing to WFH 2 weeks out of 3 for three months. It wasn't in the contract and the agent knew nothing about it. Why should they ?

Why not approach the hiring manager (if you want the job that is). If you don't want the job, why are you wasting our time ? We could be reading about something important like MF's latest jealous fit, suity's daughter's name or Churchill's kidneys
              Well when I was 'there' I found that the 'junior' roles were never allowed to WFH as they wouldnt be given laptops. I personally worked with 2 people who were in these roles and who asked to wfh a day a week. The response was no, your role isnt allocated a laptop. Instead, you are allocated a desk.

Oh, and you didnt have to read the thread so Im not wasting your time.

Comment

Oh, and you didnt have to read the thread so Im not wasting your time.

The little winking smiley was there to indicate sarcasm/tongue in cheek nature of the last bit.

No wonder you can't get a decent role.
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                  The little winking smiley was there to indicate sarcasm/tongue in cheek nature of the last bit.

No wonder you can't get a decent role.
                  Yes, I know that. I was playing along. Cant get a decent role!? I havent started looking yet, Im holidaying this week!

Comment

Yes, I know that. I was playing along. Cant get a decent role!? I havent started looking yet, Im holidaying this week!

<cough> bollocks <cough>

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...-you-role.html
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X