• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Settle a question for me...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wobblyheed View Post
    So who is the recommended umbrella?????????
    Darwin..

Comment

Originally posted by nealus View Post
      Darwin..
      Ah....The Umbrella Company Alternative.....as stated on their website. Hmmmmm....
      Formerly Sausage Surprise but forgot password on account that had email address from old gig

Comment

Originally posted by Wobblyheed View Post
        Ah....The Umbrella Company Alternative.....as stated on their website. Hmmmmm....
        Its been a bit of a nightmare trying to sort anything out job-wise over the last few months, two contract roles evaporated prior to signing on the dotted line, then trying to go the best route with umbrella companies, etc, dealing with (apparently) less than scrupulous agents..
        Sticking it out though like the fool i am !!

Comment

Its been a bit of a nightmare trying to sort anything out job-wise over the last few months, two contract roles evaporated prior to signing on the dotted line, then trying to go the best route with umbrella companies, etc, dealing with (apparently) less than scrupulous agents..
          There are lots of independent guides on the 'true' umbrella companies out there and as DaveB says, some post on here.

The only difference you should see between umbrellas is their fee.

Avoid anyone who says they are HMRC compliant or approved. HMRC does not approve anything.

Run a mile from anyone who says you can claim what you like for travel and subsistence without keeping the receipts. Always keep your receipts regardless of whether or not the umbrella you choose to work with asks to see them.

And take the umbrella league tables with a pinch of salt. These are largely owned by umbrella companies and you have to pay to be included in the top ten sometimes. Most of the main players in the market refuse to do this.

There have been two umbrellas in the last week that have gone under and left their contractors in the lurch so please do your home work. If it looks to good to be true then it usually is.

The reputable umbrella companies will be giving you a full contract of employment and all the employment rights that come with that. You should have as much access to their HR support as I do sat here in head office.

And it does sound like the agent is on dodgy ground re the Bribery Act.

Comment

Darwin..
            Darwin are not an umbrella......

Comment

Originally posted by Steven@Parasol View Post
              There are lots of independent guides on the 'true' umbrella companies out there and as DaveB says, some post on here.

The only difference you should see between umbrellas is their fee.

Avoid anyone who says they are HMRC compliant or approved. HMRC does not approve anything.

Run a mile from anyone who says you can claim what you like for travel and subsistence without keeping the receipts. Always keep your receipts regardless of whether or not the umbrella you choose to work with asks to see them.

And take the umbrella league tables with a pinch of salt. These are largely owned by umbrella companies and you have to pay to be included in the top ten sometimes. Most of the main players in the market refuse to do this.

There have been two umbrellas in the last week that have gone under and left their contractors in the lurch so please do your home work. If it looks to good to be true then it usually is.

The reputable umbrella companies will be giving you a full contract of employment and all the employment rights that come with that. You should have as much access to their HR support as I do sat here in head office.

And it does sound like the agent is on dodgy ground re the Bribery Act.
              Thanks for the above. It is a bit of a minefield and choosing correctly is proving a challenge. I saw the Tract thread in CUK today and only lends itself to doing the homework before going with anyone. Paying more for a good umbrella service may be worthwhile for a novice like me..

Comment

If you have a gig lined up to start in less than a couple of weeks and need a quick solution then I'd say go with one of the brollies who post on here. Parasol and Contractor Umbrella are the two I can think of immediatley. Any of the iffy ones that try and promote themselves here tend to get short shrift and are shown the door fairly quickly.

If you have more than a month to spare you should think seriously about going down the Ltd Company + Accountant route. It doesnt take long to get set up, you can do it all yourself or you can pay an accountant to do it for you. Any of the accountants who post on here regularly are generally well regarded and seen as trustworthy. SJD and Nixon Williams spring to mind but there are probably others I can't think of at the moment. (Edit: In Touch post here regularly as well)

At this point in time you are probably not in a position to make a proper judgement about going down the offshore route or using some of the more exotic offerings in the market. The ones that offer QC opinions on their Tax Management systems and such like.

In the interests of fairness I would make it clear I use none of the above companies. I run my own Ltd and do my own accounts.
                Last edited by DaveB; 21 July 2011, 14:24.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  If you have a gig lined up to start in less than a couple of weeks and need a quick solution then I'd say go with one of the brollies who post on here. Parasol and Contractor Umbrella are the two I can think of immediatley. Any of the iffy ones that try and promote themselves here tend to get short shrift and are shown the door fairly quickly.

If you have more than a month to spare you should think seriously about going down the Ltd Company + Accountant route. It doesnt take long to get set up, you can do it all yourself or you can pay an accountant to do it for you. Any of the accountants who post on here regularly are generally well regarded and seen as trustworthy. SJD and Nixon Williams spring to mind but there are probably others I can't think of at the moment. (Edit: In Touch post here regularly as well)

At this point in time you are probably not in a position to make a proper judgement about going down the offshore route or using some of the more exotic offerings in the market. The ones that offer QC opinions on their Tax Management systems and such like.

In the interests of fairness I would make it clear I use none of the above companies. I run my own Ltd and do my own accounts.
                  WHS

There are a few other accountancy guys who post on here but they have decided for some reason not to make it clear they are accountants that deal with small businesses.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                  X