• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fixed rate contracts vs normal contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed rate contracts vs normal contracts

Now I know there have been a number of threads with people mentioning fixed term contracts and it has been said they are permanent contracts in disguise but what is the difference?

I just had an agency ask if I was interested in a 6 month fixed term contract it gave an annual salary pro-rata which was rubbish so said no but it got me thinking how do fixed term contracts work differently, would I not be able to use my umbrella working one? Do they have set holiday like a permanent job?
    Last edited by robin; 5 July 2011, 14:49. Reason: I mean fixed term!

Most fixed-rate contracts of the type you mention are with you as a paid employee of the company on a fixed-term employment basis. They also usually have a quite short notice period. The worst of all worlds as a contractor: permanent pay, contractor insecurity.

Comment

Why would any contractor take on a fixed term contract. The rates seem poor. If it was a full time job you could understand the rates but its not....

Comment

I've noticed a lot of companies who are not au fait with contractors will try and get a contractor at permie money on fixed term. When that fails, which it innevitably will, then they look at paying piss poor money which attracts bobs and first timers. They soon realise, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by jchiver View Post
          Why would any contractor take on a fixed term contract. The rates seem poor. If it was a full time job you could understand the rates but its not....
          They don't. The fixed term contract thing is there for permies. It is not a contract as we know them. They can keep it going for 2 years before they offer you a role or something. They normally come with all the trappings of a full time job, holidays and some benefits but rarely go as far as someone fully employed. They are just there to screw the workforce over and are a disgrace.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

From the few I've come across since I have been contracting for any decent contractor they seem to rule themselves out straight away by the fact the pay is so low.

I can just imagine an agency trying to sell one to you when you say no I won't take fixed term contracts! I am sure they will make it sound wonderful!

Comment

They are annoying distractions because goons will sometimes phone you with a position that seems perfectly reasonable in technical terms and then at the end of the conversation say casually, "Oh-by-the-way-it's-a-contract-of-the-fixed-term-variety-that's-fine-with-you-good-right-next-thing-is..." Yep, end of conversation.
              Der going over der to get der der's.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                They don't. The fixed term contract thing is there for permies. It is not a contract as we know them. They can keep it going for 2 years before they offer you a role or something. They normally come with all the trappings of a full time job, holidays and some benefits but rarely go as far as someone fully employed. They are just there to screw the workforce over and are a disgrace.
                I mostly agree with everything here about FTC. I did contract work for approx 3.5 years daily rate in online/website development. Wanted to get a foot in the door and some much needed experience so took a 12 monther FTC in PMO support. Pay sucks, benefits dire and no extended hols, but the trade off is I get to break into an industry I would never have had a chance to get in under normal contract terms. I really hope the risk was worth it and I can get some contract work off the back of it. If not, its 12 months of bills paid......

Comment

Working...
                X