• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

getting time off for interviews.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting time off for interviews.

got interview on thurs this week and just wondering how everyone normally handles getting out of work for interviews.ie getting time off etc. havent been in my current contract long and mainly took it as a stop gap.dont really wanna ring in sick as aint gonna look too good.....

Do they do flexi time or the like at your current place?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Not too sure what advice you are expecting here. It is your gig with your client and only you know the lay of the land. You don't get paid when you don't work so what is the point in ringing in sick? Just tell them you are unavailable to work on x day (or half day if your billing allows it) and just have the time of. You are a company providing a service. If you are unable to provide the service that day just tell them. Holidays and sickies are for permies.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Not too sure what advice you are expecting here. It is your gig with your client and only you know the lay of the land. You don't get paid when you don't work so what is the point in ringing in sick? Just tell them you are unavailable to work on x day (or half day if your billing allows it) and just have the time of. You are a company providing a service. If you are unable to provide the service that day just tell them. Holidays and sickies are for permies.
        What this man said with bells on.

Comment

yeah point taken.not been here that long so not too sure how they will see it.thought it might appear obvious that im going for an interview elsewhere thats all.

Comment

Originally posted by SPURSN17 View Post
            yeah point taken.not been here that long so not too sure how they will see it.thought it might appear obvious that im going for an interview elsewhere thats all.
            To be fair I would have thought that this was the last reason they would expected. After all they have just agreed and signed a contract with a professional supplier of services for a fixed duration. The last thing they will expect you to do is look around for other work and then ditch them.

It is only yourguilt that is making you think that and unless you get over it you are going end up dropping yourself in it by saying something wrong.

Comment

You could tip off a few recruiters that you're about to jump ship. That way they can ensure that they have a suitable candidate ready to take over the reins at clientco.
              Better yet, honour your contract.
              Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                You could tip off a few recruiters that you're about to jump ship. That way they can ensure that they have a suitable candidate ready to take over the reins at clientco.
                Better yet, honour your contract.
                Normally the client will have a PSL so would have to speak to them, which, if they are the ones that got you in, isn't a good idea.

You could of course ask around your contacts outside the role ready to substitute yourself if need be (if you have it in your contract and the client will honour it even if it is)

Taking contracts as a 'fill in' is not a clever idea IMO. It will come back and bite you at some point if you make a habit of it. Saying that I haven't been in the position where I felt I needed to so maybe don't understand your situation.

Comment

Just tell clientco you need to take a day/half day off, if they ask why, tell them its for a personal appointment. Shouldn't be a problem unles your already behind with your work.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    To be fair I would have thought that this was the last reason they would expected. After all they have just agreed and signed a contract with a professional supplier of services for a fixed duration. The last thing they will expect you to do is look around for other work and then ditch them.
                    Irony detected - seriously, whenever a contractor takes off day with relativity short notice, it's probably a 50/50 chance that it's an interview. Contractors either give lots of notice for something planned (holiday, hospital appointment), or go sick on the day.

Any manager worth his salt will recognise that "a day off later in the week" equates to an interview.

Comment

Working...
                    X