• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Breach of Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breach of Contract

Hi

I have a signed 5 month contract on a daily rate to start work with a company in the oil industry on the 15th May .... which i did but only for 4 days ..... It then aspired the company im working for hadnt signed a contract with the overall client .... thus i was sent home until they resolved some issues ..... then a couple of weeks ago i got an email saying everything had been signed with their client the job will start 15 june (Today) Now yet again the jobs been delayed ... Ive pretty much had enough of this company as it took 6 weeks to get my contract signed where i turned down other work.

So basically what id like to know is would i have a case for breach of contract ... the contract does stipulate a 1 month break clause for either party, hence im hoping for day rat x 30 days .... if anyone has any idea please let me know.

thanks Mistert1

In your own concise words state what the breach of contract is.

If you can do that you may have a case for sending them a stiff letter by signed for post (use special delivery ) with an invoice attached to it.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      In your own concise words state what the breach of contract is.

If you can do that you may have a case for sending them a stiff letter by signed for post (use special delivery ) with an invoice attached to it.

Harsh but fair

IMO you've got slim to no chance of getting 30x daily rate. You'll do well to get the money for the 4 days you actually worked, unless you're willing to spend money on lawyers ($$$) and taking the risk that your contract is solid enough to win the case.

I suppose you could try small claims court (not sure) - but I still wouldn't hold out too much hope for any cash.
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by mistert1 View Post
        So basically what id like to know is would i have a case for breach of contract ... the contract does stipulate a 1 month break clause for either party, hence im hoping for day rat x 30 days .... if anyone has any idea please let me know.

thanks Mistert1
        What is a 1 month break clause and what does it say exactly?

Not giving you work is not a breach of contract. You are paid to do work, if there is no work you don't get paid. If it does say the contract is null and void if no work has been provided then you have a case. If you are confusing this break for the notice period then I can't see where there has been a breach.

We need more concise details of the contract if you want advise on contract breaches
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X