• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A few questions - newbie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few questions - newbie

Hi Guys,

I've been a permie for about 7 years now (first job), currently I'm concentrating on brushing up my CV by adding a few Java certs. The contractor lifestyle from what I've heard appeals to me obviously I have a few concerns so I'm putting in some research first.

- Is it possible to go straight from permie to contract without having to quit first?
    - I read in a thread somewhere that you should have a years worth of salary in your 'warchest' before starting contracting, how is this possible for newbies? It'll take me years to save that sort of money.
    - Is now a good time to start contracting (J2EE developer), what's the market like? I live in Bristol and would consider a travel radius of 40-50 miles

There'll probably be some more questions when I think of some

Originally posted by PaulStat View Post
    Hi Guys,

I've been a permie for about 7 years now (first job), currently I'm concentrating on brushing up my CV by adding a few Java certs. The contractor lifestyle from what I've heard appeals to me obviously I have a few concerns so I'm putting in some research first.

- Is it possible to go straight from permie to contract without having to quit first?
    - I read in a thread somewhere that you should have a years worth of salary in your 'warchest' before starting contracting, how is this possible for newbies? It'll take me years to save that sort of money.
    - Is now a good time to start contracting (J2EE developer), what's the market like? I live in Bristol and would consider a travel radius of 40-50 miles

1. I suppose that depends on your perm employment contract. Unlikely it says you can leave when you like with no notice.

The best thing to do is look for a contract while perm and tie the notice required up with your contract start date as best you can. Sometimes its possible and sometimes it isn't.

I was on 3 months notice before my first contract so had no choice but to leave permiedom. Took me 3 monhts after leaving to get first contract.

2. I would suggest that you have a few months money when you start the contract but start stashing the contract payments in your business account for a rainy day.

3 Sorry not a J2EE dev. Check this out though as a finger in the air.
    J2EE Dev roles, London

Adjust for the area you are looking in.

GL.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Hi Guys,

1 - It can be done but is unlikely unless you are in a niche market when the client is willing to wait out your notice period. Usually clients want contractors in as soon as possible ( so they can keep them waiting around a coulpe of weeks for User ID's desks and IT kit )

Saying that, if you find a gig you want and can get an interview, everything is open to negitiation.

2 - A year would be nice, in practice it's not usually possible. Get as much as you can together and focus on putting mony in the bank as quickly as possible when you do get a gig. Have a contigency plan in case it all goes pear shaped to make the most of what cash you do have. I'd say the bare minimum would be three months.

3 - In the current climate it isnt a particularly good time to go contracting if you have a good permie job. Development roles generate a lot of competition, dont always pay as well as you might expect and are open to poaching by overseas candidates who'll do it for a fiver and a shared room in a bedsit.

4 - You will almost certainly have to travel further than that. At least as far as London if not further. As a contractor you go where the work is. If you limit yourself geographically you will rule yourself out for many jobs you might otherwise have got. Many posters here commute at weekends and stay away monday to friday. This is not seen as unusual.

You say the lifestyle appeals to you. Do you actually mean the money appeals to you? If so bear in mind you will be lucky to work 12 months of the year. Bank on getting 6, be prepared to get 3. Does the money look so good now? Does the "lifesyle" it still appeal?
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I moved from a permanent job to contracting without handing in my notice. The company were willing to wait the 4 weeks. I also don't have much savings but was fed up with the current financial climate, 0 pay rise for 2 years and threat of redundancy. At least now I'm more in control of my career and get paid twice as much as before. I'm working as a a Lead Test Analyst which is effectively a promotion for me into the bargain. I took a leap of faith but so far it's worked out.

Good luck !
        Last edited by jungleboogy; 13 June 2011, 19:12.

Comment

Thanks folks, I think some of the replies have pretty much ruled it out for me then tbh. I have a little boy that I'm not willing to basically only see on weekends, which by the sounds of things is quite likely to happen. Oh well at least now I know!

Comment

Thanks folks, I think some of the replies have pretty much ruled it out for me then tbh. I have a little boy that I'm not willing to basically only see on weekends, which by the sounds of things is quite likely to happen. Oh well at least now I know!
            Test the market and see what is available - you may be pleasantly surprised. It is not always working away from home, long hours etc although needs to be considered. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by jungleboogy View Post
              I moved from a permanent job to contracting without handing in my notice. The company were willing to wait the 4 weeks. I also don't have much savings but was fed up with the current financial climate, 0 pay rise for 2 years and threat of redundancy. At least now I'm more in control of my career and get paid twice as much as before. I'm working as a a Lead Test Analyst which is effectively a promotion for me into the bargain. I took a leap of faith but so far it's worked out.

Good luck !
              My situation exactly the same. But then I am working with a niche skillset, and there aren't many developers available with my skill set. You just have to trust your instinct and make a move. I believe from your posts that OP is still young to make mistakes, and start again fresh.

Comment

Working...
              X