• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When do you start looking for other contracts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When do you start looking for other contracts?

How long before a contract ends do you start the tedious process of getting other people to realise just how awesome you are.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    How long before a contract ends do you start the tedious process of getting other people to realise just how awesome you are.
    I usually update my CV 3 weeks before end of contract then start applying until I get an offer.

Comment

I'm always looking, just in case! You never know, your notice is usually instant remember....

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        I have an unhealthy addiction to applying to roles even midway during contract. I think this is because I like to know how in demand my skills are and how much money I could get out of a future contract. It has often left me in a predicament where even though I am happy with a contract I start considering others due to good offers coming through. The good thing about this addiction is I make sure I am always up to date with skills so I can easily move into another contract.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
          I have an unhealthy addiction to applying to roles even midway during contract. I think this is because I like to know how in demand my skills are and how much money I could get out of a future contract. It has often left me in a predicament where even though I am happy with a contract I start considering others due to good offers coming through. The good thing about this addiction is I make sure I am always up to date with skills so I can easily move into another contract.
          So you would be happy to jump mid contract?
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

About 5 months after the last contract finished.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
              I usually update my CV 3 weeks before end of contract then start applying until I get an offer.
              WHS. More than 3 weeks tends to be a waste of time as the most roles are wanting instant start and can't wait. Might get lucky around 3 weeks so seems about right.

I don't think this is a good option unless you have thick skin. For one you cannot run a contracting career jumping ship. You might get away with it a few times but you will slip up and start to lose roles in the future because you are not reliable.
              Secondly you are going to be gutted watching other roles with better rates/location passing by so you are going to get pissed off with the role you have (assuming you are willing to see a contract through) so end up not enjoying what is a perfectly good contract. Also, again, this can quite easily come back and bite you with your hiring manager finding out your looking and you hit the top of the pile for first one out should cuts come around.

All these are managable I am sure and may only be a problem in small cases and yes you have to look after number 1 yadda yadda but caution is most definately advised.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I think it depends on the market/location, I'm currently looking to relocate to CH, on contract first them maybe perm, who knows. At the time I got this contract, and 3 months plus one, a Swiss one came up, seemed very keen. I kept it going in case current one fell through, but it didn't and I signed up to start this monday.

Swiss Co. came through last week and wanted to interview me, flurry of emails and nothing since. I think even the contract market CH moves slowly...

So, hopefully by keeping it alive come the end of this contract I might start the CH one!

Comment

I am not turning away agents when they phone me with contracts, but then my current contract is a rolling monthly one and could end at any time.

Comment

About a month before the end, which reminds me............................
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X