• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Entertainment from clients suppliers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entertainment from clients suppliers

Working with suppliers of clients have you accepted things such as working lunches paid by them, overnight stays, etc?

Given that we are businesses in our own right, we are not bound by any of a clients existing rules about supplier entertainment etc???

Or even paying for lunches with them with the view to building relationships for work via them beyond any current client relationship???
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Originally posted by portseven View Post
    Working with suppliers of clients have you accepted things such as working lunches paid by them, overnight stays, etc?

Given that we are businesses in our own right, we are not bound by any of a clients existing rules about supplier entertainment etc???

Or even paying for lunches with them with the view to building relationships for work via them beyond any current client relationship???
    You are a buiness in your own right correct but you are working with the clients suppliers and I would be very careful here. They could be fleecing you to get in with them which would be the whole reason they have these policies. Personally I would not accept anything from a supplier of my client without informing my client just to be squeeky clean. It just isn't worth it for a bottle of wine or a meal IMHO. If you become their way in the door and you can be coerced with gifts the client may be very unhappy you are bypassing his supplier management systems. They cannot handle their suppliers fairly if they are coming in via you.

Again with the lunches, to them you are just a single contractor. I would be pressed to think why a meal would influence a supplier too much. Do a good job, prove you are a valuable asset and be professional and courteous would be a better bet. You cannot put business entertainment against tax is that was your line of thinking as well.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Google "Bribery Act 2010".

And have a read of section 7.

So yes you are bound by the client's rules to some extend.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I think there is an element of pragmatism though

So you got for a meeting at client premesis, not part of any RFP process just normal project / bau stuff, and they supply lunch.
        Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

I think there is an element of pragmatism though

So you got for a meeting at client premesis, not part of any RFP process just normal project / bau stuff, and they supply lunch.
          It's normal at meetings for the host to supply refreshments. So if it's a lunch meeting where they give you a buffet, a evening meeting where they take you out to a restaurant or offer free drinks then fine.

It's if they take you out to a restaurant from no defined purpose, or offer you gifts or cash that you have to refuse it and report it to the client.
          In regards to overnight stays it's better to pay for them yourself, unless the supplier is a hotel chain and it would cost them nothing. Again this should be reported to the client.

Personally I would report everything via your business email (as off course you retain copies). As with a written record you have proof as your business mustn't take bribes either under the law.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
          X