• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

And another what would you do thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And another what would you do thread

Offered 2 contract roles today for jobs locally:
    1) 2 mins drive away but at -£70/day to my current role and short term
    2) 25 mins drive away, large financial client, same rate as my current role.

Turned down 1) because not a known company, too low a rate and role was too short term. Staff seemed really nice though but oh well.

Now I have to decide between 2) and my current role.

Advantages of current role:
    - working from home 1 day a week - great to see family
    - relaxed atmosphere, people like and trust me - good relationship with client
    - built the system from scratch - my baby and I know it inside out
    - client facing role
    - excellent agency and pay schedule (the best possible pay schedule) vs monthly on offered role
    - very short notice period on contract vs no notice period on offered role
    - 37.5 hours vs 40 hours on offered role

Advantages of offered role:
    - 25 mins drive vs 2 hours commute (though only 4 days)
    - Very large Bank in the financial sector - good on CV
    - Save money on commute
    - 6 months contract vs 3 months on previous role - more stability

There is a good chance of extension in my current role as there is plenty of work to be doing but the 3 month by 3 month extension business is a bit frustrating. Really tough decision but need to decide in next couple of hours. Might give an agreement (subject to contract) verbally to give me more time to decide. This is the toughest one so far....

Only you can decide of course, lots of good pro's and con's to think about.

What I would say is, maybe you can use this new offer to get more from current client co.

Mention you are considering the new role as it is closer/longer etc, see what else you can get out of them.

Not necessarily more cash, though always nice - maybe they'll surprise you, maybe another WFH day or 2?

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      Only you can decide of course, lots of good pro's and con's to think about.

What I would say is, maybe you can use this new offer to get more from current client co.

Mention you are considering the new role as it is closer/longer etc, see what else you can get out of them.

Not necessarily more cash, though always nice - maybe they'll surprise you, maybe another WFH day or 2?

Very good advice. I think I might ask for a longer contract and an extra WFH day + enough to cover my travel expenses.

That covers all the practical side of things but at the same time is it worth it to get into the financial sector?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
        Very good advice. I think I might ask for a longer contract and an extra WFH day + enough to cover my travel expenses.

That covers all the practical side of things but at the same time is it worth it to get into the financial sector?
        Veeerrryyy good question.

Finance doesn't always bring interesting projects, though it may bring higher day rates.

In fact, my one and only finance role so far was utterly mind numbing & the best rate I have achieved so far. That wouldn't stop me taking another one!

Comment

I have been thinking over this kind of situation a lot, and have decided that it is better to renew the existing contract than looking for a new contract. But again it depends on individual situation and the new contract being offered.

Comment

If you have an offer from an finacial client now it goes without saying you can get another so I wouldn't be keen to lose money over it now just because one is on the table. Personally looking at the options you have put on the table I would stick with the one I know well, pays well and I am happy with. Better the devil you know.

Might be a big bank and might look good on the CV but if you can't do the job it doesn't matter if you had Her Majesty the Queen on your CV. If you can do it you can pick a financial sector role anytime. You take the role and it could be utter crap and there is no going back.

If you have a contract that pays well, your respected, you enjoy and has some legs I wouldn't move just for a name on the CV. Clients will also respect a contractor that will stick with them rather than rate chase every 6 months as well.

All IMO of course.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Right,

I have decided I am going to go for the local role. I think the 20 min drive vs 2 hour commute will make a real difference to my life. Money is exactly the same but will save a considerable amount due to much cheaper commute. Just need to make sure I leave everything in good shape here.

Comment

Right,

I have decided I am going to go for the local role. I think the 20 min drive vs 2 hour commute will make a real difference to my life. Money is exactly the same but will save a considerable amount due to much cheaper commute. Just need to make sure I leave everything in good shape here.
                I was going to reply and tell you that the commute would make a difference to me but I see you have made the same decision. That extra time would make all the difference to me.

Comment

Right,

Just as food for thought:

How about speaking to a couple of trusted agents, and telling them about your tentative plans. Then sell them the opportunity to make a few quid, by providing your replacement, before anyone else gets the chance to get a look in?

The possibilities are endless on this in terms of you sub-contracting it and all of that stuff, but that's not really the emphasis I was thinking of.

You're about to provide your end client, with a problem. Rightly or wrongly, I've always worked on the basis that if you go to a client with a problem and a couple of potential solutions, you leave yourself in a much stronger position, and with far less bad blood than if you waltz in and slap a gaping great hole in the team!

As I say, just a thought, but that's how I would deal with a situation like that.

Good luck with the new role - sounds like a sensible choice.

TAV
                  "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
                  SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
                    trusted agents

Comment

Working...
                    X