• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Breaking into banking and finance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is nothing stopping you putting your CV out and see if you get any bites. That's probably the best test.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
      There is nothing stopping you putting your CV out and see if you get any bites. That's probably the best test.
      Make sure its a proper bite with an interview not just an agent expressing interest. They usually have a crap idea of what really interests a client.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
        Is the reason you want to get into banking just for more money?

be careful what you wish for. it can be painful. This has been discussed many times before. The standard of people required in banking tend to be higher IMHO, but also you need to have the patience of a saint to get anything done, be fairly aggressive to stay alive, be able to play the political game but also, put all those use cases you looked at in any certification exams you have done into action, where other companies have never needed them.

Working in a banks great experience for your cv, fairly good rates, but be prepared to give your pound of flesh.
        yeah i've heard that as well, i figure i might as well have a crack before i have kids etc. I'll probably want something less stressful once im there's a family in the equation

Comment

Originally posted by yamamma View Post
          yeah i've heard that as well, i figure i might as well have a crack before i have kids etc. I'll probably want something less stressful once im there's a family in the equation
          What sort of contract rate would you be happy with?

Is it worth working in finance for 550 a day when you can get that elsewhere with less grief?

Comment

I've been a developer in banking for 4 years, 3 contracts and all of them have been very fair, no expectation of superlong hours and a good rate to boot. I suspect that it depends on your business managers view of contractors whether the contract is enjoyable or not.

Personally I work 8 hour days, but am willing to put the hours in if some exceptional circumstance arises.

Pay has always been punctual, personally I would recommend it.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I am starting a gig next week in financial sector oop north. It means I will have big name on my CV but I won't be working in the core business (i.e. banking data). Anybody got an idea if that makes a difference or is it just the name that helps you move into the financial sector e.g. investment banking, hedge funds etc.

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedAussie View Post
                What sort of contract rate would you be happy with?

Is it worth working in finance for 550 a day when you can get that elsewhere with less grief?
                550? i wish......
                Maybe 3-4 years ago...
                Basically for my line of work finance seems to be paying around £50-100/day more than other private sectors. There also seems to be more contracts in finance and banking than in other places. Also tbh the finance company where i work - they arent too bad in terms of hours they expect you to work. Only thing is if you make a giant cock-up expect to get walked out, but as i mentioned earlier this would only happen if you're a real cowboy and ignore processes......if its just human error, people are understanding.

Comment

Working...
                X