• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Regarding security clearance and spent convictions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding security clearance and spent convictions

hi

I have spent conviction (14 years ago) for possession of class a c substance (hashish) with intent to supply. I basically bought some for myself and some friends, pled guilty and I was given 100 hours community service.

When I was 17 I was found guilty for breach of the peace (£50 fine) and at around 22 I was bound over for criminal damage. I am now 43 and have had no further involvement with the law.

Am I likely to be turned down for security clearance?

Im looking at a Counter Terrorism Check and not being blackmailable or compromised, which I'm not.

I am an IT contractor running my own limited company.

Thanks

Admit everything.

If it's for defence work if you admit everything then you should be fine. As that way you can't be blackmailed.

Certain police forces are more difficult.....
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Breach of the peace isn't too bad. I guess pissed and rowdy. Intent to supply is a little different. I hope the OP keeps us informed. It would be interesting to see if the time difference or the offence does make a difference or not.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Admit everything.

If it's for defence work if you admit everything then you should be fine. As that way you can't be blackmailed.

Certain police forces are more difficult.....
        WSES
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by gandy666 View Post
          Im looking at a Counter Terrorism Check and not being blackmailable or compromised, which I'm not.
          CTC is a pretty entry level security check. Read the questions carefully and answer them correctly and you should be fine. Probably the only reason you would be turned down is if you don't declare something that you were asked to declare.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

thanks guys - i'll just be straight up with them - then I'll know, one way or the other

Comment

As the others have said when it comes to these things it's important to be honest and mention convictions even if they're spent. When they do the checks they will find out about spent convictions anyway so if you've put them down you're not seen to be concealing stuff.

Comment

hi

I have spent conviction (14 years ago) for possession of class a c substance (hashish) with intent to supply. I basically bought some for myself and some friends, pled guilty and I was given 100 hours community service.

When I was 17 I was found guilty for breach of the peace (£50 fine) and at around 22 I was bound over for criminal damage. I am now 43 and have had no further involvement with the law.

I would, you're a f***ing reprobate, face it. I might let you off though if you've got any of that hash left...

Boo

Comment

I have spent conviction (14 years ago) for possession of class a c substance (hashish) with intent to supply.

I am now 43.
                  Meaning you were 29 when convicted. You can't really pass that off as silly teenage pranks or experimentation so you can't forgive the DVA for thinking "Is he still using and, therefore, still in contact with dealers? If so, he can be blackmailed by his dealer."

Go on, put the form in anyway, you never know. If you do get cleared, do update us, it would be interesting to know. Maybe they ignore cannabis as an issue; many people do.

But I'd keep applying for other roles, if I were you.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                  X