• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 Insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 Insurance

All,

I am new to contracting. Just setup a limited company and got my first contract. Just wondering how many of you are IR35 insruance covered?

Is it worth getting and how much do you pay for the cover?

Thanks.

Originally posted by kevinlam View Post
    All,

I am new to contracting. Just setup a limited company and got my first contract. Just wondering how many of you are IR35 insruance covered?

Is it worth getting and how much do you pay for the cover?

Thanks.
    I think I got mine through my PCG membership, but need to check to be sure.

I would highly recommend it, but it is only effective if you get your contract reviewed for IR35 and seen to be carrying out due dilligence, otherwise the insurance is pointless.

I don't know how long IR35 will be around in its current form, but I would take it out in case you get caught in its current form, or in its future incarnation.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

IT35

I've also got mine via PCG - I paid £355 which covered IR35 and some other bits and bobs around HMRC investigations - you can get the simple IR35 insurance for a fair amount less

I think it is worth getting, I also got a good talk through of IR35 and the terms. Interestingly, when I took out the insurance, they looked at my contract to make sure it was IR35 compliant, but also you complete a questionaire around your working practices - your hours / how you work etc.

The insurance covers defence of the case as well as paying out if you get caught by IR35 (remember they can go back retrospectivly to previous years).

Comment

Mine is with QDOS, certainly worth a look at them. Their customer service to date has been excellent, but I haven't claimed.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I have a comprehensive accounting package from clearsky. Would that overlap the services from the ir35 insurance?

Comment

Which level of PCG membership covers IR35? Do they cover the penalty and outstanding tax liability if the defence failed?

Originally posted by SneakySimon View Post
            I've also got mine via PCG - I paid £355 which covered IR35 and some other bits and bobs around HMRC investigations - you can get the simple IR35 insurance for a fair amount less

I think it is worth getting, I also got a good talk through of IR35 and the terms. Interestingly, when I took out the insurance, they looked at my contract to make sure it was IR35 compliant, but also you complete a questionaire around your working practices - your hours / how you work etc.

The insurance covers defence of the case as well as paying out if you get caught by IR35 (remember they can go back retrospectivly to previous years).

Comment

Originally posted by SneakySimon View Post

Thanks for the info I checked the terms and condition of the pcg ir35 insurance, it actually categorically says that they don't cover the payout in the failed case. Which I think is the most important aspect of the insurance, accountax does the comprehensive insurance for ir 35 including payout and everything but will cost around 1000 a year

Comment

PCG Membership gives you investigation insurance - pays the legal fees but does not pay tax, penalties etc if they find against you.

But because you have their investigation insurance (which is done through AbbeyTax) you can then get AbbeyTax Survive35 for about an extra £350 which does cover tax, penalties etc. They have to review your contract and working practices for you to qualify for this.

QDOS also do a similar cover - details are on their website.

Comment

Originally posted by Hex View Post
                  PCG Membership gives you investigation insurance - pays the legal fees but does not pay tax, penalties etc if they find against you.

But because you have their investigation insurance (which is done through AbbeyTax) you can then get AbbeyTax Survive35 for about an extra £350 which does cover tax, penalties etc. They have to review your contract and working practices for you to qualify for this.

QDOS also do a similar cover - details are on their website.
                  Thanks. Do they really cover what they claim to cover or is it like any other insurances, when you need it, they keep pointing out everything is excluded in the policy?

Comment

Originally posted by kevinlam View Post
                    Thanks. Do they really cover what they claim to cover or is it like any other insurances, when you need it, they keep pointing out everything is excluded in the policy?
                    Read the policy documents and make sure you know what is covered and what isn't.

Comment

Working...
                    X