• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC problems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toad
    Malvolio, just out of curiosity , do they ask for personal references from friends or neighbours, and if so, do these people have to be of a certain 'social standing'. ie will my mate Bob the builder suffice or does it have to be a doctor/teacher etc ?
    They will ask for professional and personal. Personal have to be of a certain standing, it tells you on the form.

The biggest problem at this moment is for foreign chaps or chaps who have worked abroad for any length of time.
    The DVA have no way of doing foreign checks so wont issue SC.

For Talk_VOIP: Levels of check are BC Basic Check which just checks you against a very simple form, there is a new level to check with police that you are not a suspected terrorist which I cant remember the name. Then the is SC, Security Checked which checks your history and all the thing Malvolio said. After that is DV or Developed Vetting which takes all the SC stuff to a new level including forms to be filled out by referees and men in dark glasses stalking your relatives for a while.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

The clearance expires one year after you last used it (like mine just did), but you stay on the register. You still have to do the forms and be revetted, but last time I had to do that it took a week since they just revalidated what I said against the previous set of answers.

I've only ever signed the OSA once, incidentally - not sure why!
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by cswd
        Does having MoD DV security clearance and signed OSA go in your favour even though it's expired now? I might apply for some contracts that require SC if that is the case as it should be easy to regain clearance throught DVA then?
        Dont quote me but I think DV lasts for 10 years.

Does anybody else do research or is it muggins here who googles and reads web sites like the one the DVA have?

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

DV expires as soon as you leave the project it was given for.

There exists as least one person who does know, but I get fed up of all the howling crud from them that don't.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Sc Level Vetting

Thank you folks. I appreciate you help.
            A quick question though.

1. Do they conduct a credit check in SC ? ( I have some loans outstanding which I took to start own business. The business could not fly higher than the ground level and here I am repaying them back with a debt management plan and no business at all).

2. Do you experienced guys think it might create problems for me getting SC ?

3. How long you have to live in the UK to be eligible to apply for SC?

Talk_Voip
            Last edited by talk_voip; 22 March 2006, 10:45.

Comment

Yes, they do a credit check, It will only matter if you don't tell them.

The main thing they are worried about is if you can be blackmailed or bribed. If you are open and tell them about everything, it will cease to be a problem.

You can, infact, be an ex-russian KGB officer and still get the highest level of clearance.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                DV expires as soon as you leave the project it was given for.

There exists as least one person who does know, but I get fed up of all the howling crud from them that don't.
                It all expires when you leave the project/firm you were sponsored for.

I was talking about transferring it from one sponsor to another without having to go through all the checks again.

SC can be transferred from the sponsor up to 12 months after that.
                DV I was under the impression that this had a 10 year window.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

DV I was under the impression that this had a 10 year window.[/QUOTE]

DV Vetting last for ten years so long as you stay with the current project. If you move then it is subject to the same transfer as SC however the DVA can make the decission to check you again depending on the time you have been away.
                  Veni, Vidi, Bibi

Comment

Coming back to the original question again:

1.How long do you have to live in the UK to be eligible to apply for SC?

Its been only 3 years that I have come back from USA where I worked as consultant for almost 3 years.

Talk_voip

Comment

Originally posted by talk_voip
                      Coming back to the original question again:

1.How long do you have to live in the UK to be eligible to apply for SC?

Its been only 3 years that I have come back from USA where I worked as consultant for almost 3 years.

Talk_voip
                      The form says if you have been outside the UK for more than 3 years you have to provide referees for the last 5 from employers. As the DVA have no method of checking these referees you are effectively snookered.
                      If you have been in the UK for 3 years or more then you have no worries.
                      Are you a UK citizen? I am not sure what happens with colonials.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Working...
                      X