• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Virgin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virgin

Hi all

I'm a freelancer who has now decided to apply for contracts (London).

I've just applied for one, got a call within 10 mins, missed it and called back. Was asked immediately about availability (said 2 weeks), he next explained he will forward the CV to his client, and I should hear back no later than tomorrow afternoon.

Things I'd like to ask - he asked what I my rate is - I said I'm not sure because on Jobserve you put one figure but on your own website it's Jobsite x 2. He then said it's about half way between both - I said I'll think about what I want and come back to you. What do you think the best way is to approach him on this... Would the figure on their own site be complete tulip, or a more realistic (250 on Jobserve, 500 on their site).

Also he asked 'are you looking at any other positions' -- what would this indicate he really means?

Thanks

Originally posted by ilovelamp View Post
    Hi all

I've just applied for one, got a call within 10 mins, missed it and called back. Was asked immediately about availability (said 2 weeks), he next explained he will forward the CV to his client, and I should hear back no later than tomorrow afternoon.

Things I'd like to ask - he asked what I my rate is - I said I'm not sure because on Jobserve you put one figure but on your own website it's Jobsite x 2. He then said it's about half way between both - I said I'll think about what I want and come back to you. What do you think the best way is to approach him on this... Would the figure on their own site be complete tulip, or a more realistic (250 on Jobserve, 500 on their site).

Also he asked 'are you looking at any other positions' -- what would this indicate he really means?

Thanks
    Without knowing what type of work you are doing, I can't comment on what your rate should be. You could use market forces, but you have to ask yourself, what would you be happy on?

On ther otherside of the coin, put the onus on the agent. Tell them that you would like to go in at £500 p/d. Let them negotiate to your lowest possible offer.

Don't forget, you will need to factor in the following into your rate:

Corporation Tax (20%)
    Expenses
    Employee & Employer NI and Income Tax (May not be necessary, but depends on whether you are inside or outside IR35, and also whether you are going via Ltd or Umbrella)
    Accountancy Fees
    Contract review fees (Should be one off per contract - not normal to get reviews on extensions)
    Banking fees (if applicable)
    Employer Pension Contributions (If you plan to make any)

Remember, you need to know whether the rate is inclusive or exclusive of VAT.

HTH. I am sure I have missed some things out, but hope this covers some of the basics.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Hi all

Thanks
      To be fair he is probably assessing the likelihood of you accepting a role. If you are up for a job on your doorstep paying £1000 a day he will probably not put you forward or at least try and find a "backup". the same applies to rates. We agents like flexibility because we know that when decision time comes the contractor is going to push for more and the client will push for less. The agent will assess all the risks to the contract being offered and accepted as early in the process as possible. I know most of you will disagree but there is a lot of skill in planning and negotiating a contract placement.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Hi all

Thanks
        You rate is your rate, not what they are offering.

Always start at the highest rate you've seen for the role, or more .

You can only negotiate down from the starting position.

Preferable to wait til renewal, although not always possible.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Hi all

Thanks
          It's largely about knowing what the market is like and what sort of rate you can realistically expect to get. I generally have a rate I will work for and adjust up or down dependent on the gig, location etc. Always have a rate in mind before you talk to the agent because they *will* ask you what you want. If they say yes then everyone is happy, you've got a rate your happy with and they get a margin they are happy with. If they say no then either negotiate or walk away.

The 'Other positions' question is generally them trying to pump you for leads on other jobs. I tend to be non-commital about it "only started looking this week" etc.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Ok thanks everyone, I know what rate i want in London, but to be honest when it's advertised for £500 / day on their own site, i just wanted to know why it was double the Jobserve rate. (I was hoping for £350-£400).

I kept quiet when he asked where else I had applied e.g. 'only started looking, checking options' etc and he gave up then

Let's see if I even get an interview yet, it's my first contract after all.

Thanks again will update if i get any more progress!

Comment

He wants to know what other jobs you have been put forward for so he can phone them up and put a few of his own people forward in competition against you for the job. They will come out with all sorts of nonsense about why you should tell them but you try suggesting to them that you should phone up all your agents and tell them you've just been put forward for this job and watch your agent go ballistic.

You gave the right answer though.
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
              X