• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Market gone a bit dead?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boo View Post
    Dunno. I didn't notice a pick up in March tbh, my most recent "warm period" was last July/August. Since then it's been a bit dead. I keep reading that the market is turning - and last night's news on the jobless front is encouraging - but haven't seen any signs of it personally yet.

Boo
    What's your skillset?

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post

digress

deliberate misspelling. It's a joke

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
        All the Aussies here in London are chomping at the bit to get back home. I'm told rates are now the same or higher in real terms over there.
        It's not just IT but the whole country is going ballistic thanks to those cuddly Chinese and their insatiable demand for things lying in ground here. In the news the other day, you can get $AUD$100,000 pa for driving a truck! Fortunes can be made just by digging up your back lawn (OK, that might be an exaggeration).

In the meantime a dirth of IT professionals is causing a bubble in rates and the $AUD is now over the $US and on it's way to parity with Sterling. If there was ever a time to work Down Under, this is it. See your local recruitment agent about visas to Oz, they are getting easier to come by.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
          What's your skillset?
          Realtime and embedded, C, C++, assembler, video DSP...

Boo

Comment

One more week at existing clientco then I'm on my next role. But now existing clientco has said that I can continue to work evenings and weekends as much as I like, so now I have two roles.

Is that like the anti-bench?

pssssst still plenty of work here in the lucky country, this place is going off!

Comment

I've been out of contract all through April. nothing at all. seemingly loads to apply for, but a friendly agent at Quantam told me she's getting 150+ for each and every role.

I got an interview with an asset managment company, had to wait 4 weeks for a 2nd interview (me and one other). Then found out the "other" was an internal candidate, who unsurprisingly got the job!

Been a bit busier this week with calls, but nothing positive at all. I was in the insurance support managment areas, but they got hammered by the middle east, Australian floods and Japan. so let go.
              I know of 3 copmanies who have now outsourced to TATA in India, so no more work there.

Comment

Working...
              X