• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Market gone a bit dead?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    I do love the way the only indicator of 'the market' is your personal perception of it. Just two weeks ago we had this:

Why didn't you take one of the roles that was desperate for you?

If you're not getting calls then maybe it's because of this:

Make your mind up!
    Hahahahaha. NorthWestPermToContr = BUSTED!

Originally posted by swamp View Post
    Us Londoners just need to keep those pesky northerners from stealing our contracts. Maybe we should build a wall at Watford Gap?
    Man I've been saying that for years. Basically a giant Berlin-esque wall running across England about level with the Watford Gap, and another one at the Lake District, and anyone in between can just fend for themselves. There really isn't much to write home about in the whole of Middle England, and I come from Nottingham so know what I'm talking about!

But I digest... Market here in Oz is booming. I just got a new one-year contract at Reserve Bank so now I have to tell current clientco that I'm leaving early. I'm kind of hoping that UK Market will pick up by 2012 and the words "Reserve" and "Bank" and "SSRS" and "SSIS" on my CV will help get me back into the City...but in the meantime this is THE place to be for IT contractors at the moment IMHO. As I keep saying, if you can get here...

Comment

Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
      Hahahahaha. NorthWestPermToContr = BUSTED!

Man I've been saying that for years. Basically a giant Berlin-esque wall running across England about level with the Watford Gap, and another one at the Lake District, and anyone in between can just fend for themselves. There really isn't much to write home about in the whole of Middle England, and I come from Nottingham so know what I'm talking about!

But I digest... Market here in Oz is booming. I just got a new one-year contract at Reserve Bank so now I have to tell current clientco that I'm leaving early. I'm kind of hoping that UK Market will pick up by 2012 and the words "Reserve" and "Bank" and "SSRS" and "SSIS" on my CV will help get me back into the City...but in the meantime this is THE place to be for IT contractors at the moment IMHO. As I keep saying, if you can get here...

digress

Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

It's all about your skillsets and the demand for them. If you have the foresight to spot which technologies will give you years of decent rates through thick and thin then you will be ok.

Think. .Net, Sharepoint, WCF.
        Not - Haskell, Ruby On Rails etc

Comment

Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
          ...but in the meantime this is THE place to be for IT contractors at the moment IMHO. As I keep saying, if you can get here...
          All the Aussies here in London are chomping at the bit to get back home. I'm told rates are now the same or higher in real terms over there.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
            All the Aussies here in London are chomping at the bit to get back home. I'm told rates are now the same or higher in real terms over there.
            How much is it these days for pouring a pint?

Comment

Over a Aus$1000 a day in oil and gas process engineering now in Oz.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Opposite for me - nothing in March, lots of calls in the last 2 days.

Agents putting my cv forward but telling me that the clients have said they will hear nothing until first week of May as organisations are shutting down for Easter - so expect things to be quiet now until then I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by PropertyCrashUK View Post
                  Opposite for me - nothing in March, lots of calls in the last 2 days.

Agents putting my cv forward but telling me that the clients have said they will hear nothing until first week of May as organisations are shutting down for Easter - so expect things to be quiet now until then I guess.
                  Is this public sector?

If so, don't think it will be the same for the private sector.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                    Is this public sector?

If so, don't think it will be the same for the private sector.

Yes, both public secotor.

But when I told the agents that it was typical of the public sector both commented that, no, that their private sector clients were basically shutting down for easter already.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                      Anybody else feel this as well? March was very busy, getting loads of calls, lots of roles on jobserve, good rates.

Now everything dead, barely any roles, lower rates, fewer calls...

What's happening?
                      Dunno. I didn't notice a pick up in March tbh, my most recent "warm period" was last July/August. Since then it's been a bit dead. I keep reading that the market is turning - and last night's news on the jobless front is encouraging - but haven't seen any signs of it personally yet.

Boo

Comment

Working...
                      X