• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I take myself off the market after accepting a contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I take myself off the market after accepting a contract?

Hi all seasoned contractors,
    I have just verbally accepted a contract which was great and as per my requirements. Now another agent brings in another opportunity which is much more lucrative more money, longer duration, and in about same region. I know this may just not materialise, and hence I told the agent that I have accepted one, but he insisted that he can get a feedback before me starting the contract, so I can compare the contracts.
    The dilemma is that he says I can serve notice on my first day, and if I have a cooling off period, I can start working for the other contract straight away. Is this professional? I mean I am aware that the company can serve me with an instant notice on the day I join, so it's nothing unusual, and quite few contractors might have done it, but I just wanted to have a second opinion.

Personally, I would keep looking/progressing other things until the original contract is actually signed and I'm on-site.... Just to keep my options open, but I wouldn't ditch contract #1 for another offer, unless #1 was look very shaky. I'd keep #2+ on the go as a safety net.. it's easy enough to stall for a few days.

Comment

Well, it's entirely up to you.

You mention you've verbally agreed a contract - I assume nothing as yet has passed your way with regards to a written contract? Until then, as always, keep actively looking.

Clearly you seemed happy enough with the first contract to verbally accept. Seems to me that this second agent may well be stirring the pot - trying to push you into the role that he benefits from without regard to your circumstances. Always rings alarm bells with me. Especailly when he seems blase about effectively shafting a client.

Anyhoo, as I said it's all down to you.

But, from my view of what you've written, if you go for the second contract offered, then it had better be a damn good one and you'd better get it. You risk not only burning bridges with the first client, but also the agency that got you the gig.

And a part of me wonders if the second agent is merely stirring the pot - could it even be the case he's a vested interest in trying to place someone to replace you at the first client?

Comment

Never accept outright - you should accept "subject to an agreed contract".

Until you have actually started, who knows what is going to happen with either contract? Get in for the other one and see what happens - until you have two options, it's a moot point.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Having had a job offer pulled just before I was due to start - due to some internal finance wrangling - I now ALWAYS continue looking until I at least have a signed contract, and usually am onsite.
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

As of 2 hours ago, I'm in exactly the same position. I've had 3 contracts in various stages of completion, and, as is life, the least appealing one is the one that's been offered first. I've negotiated 2 weeks notice, and could well get something with better travel and such before then... They want me to sign but as I understand it, that's really just words, and until the contract actually actually starts signing it doesn't really count for much. I'm hoping I'm right on that...

Comment

mouseorgan very quick question as I have a thread about notice period negotiation, what did the agent say when you negotiated to 2 weeks? Did they say anything or just agree?

Still on the topic of this thread I know you should keep looking until you have actually signed the paperwork if not actually have walked in the door but even though I know I should I still find it very hard to do. Once I have accepted a contract I don't stop completely but I do slow down my search which I know I shouldn't!

Comment

Originally posted by mouseorgan View Post
                As of 2 hours ago, I'm in exactly the same position. I've had 3 contracts in various stages of completion, and, as is life, the least appealing one is the one that's been offered first. I've negotiated 2 weeks notice, and could well get something with better travel and such before then... They want me to sign but as I understand it, that's really just words, and until the contract actually actually starts signing it doesn't really count for much. I'm hoping I'm right on that...
                Depends what the contract says.

Standard contractor contracts normally mean until the contract starts there is no commitment on either side. However lots of agencies/companies put tulip in them to ensure that you have commit but they can terminate you at any time.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Always accept subject to contract and NEVER stop looking until you have signed on the dotted line.

Though with some of the stories that have been abound on here, keep one eye on the market until after your first week as the gig might not be there on day 1.
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by robin View Post
                    mouseorgan very quick question as I have a thread about notice period negotiation, what did the agent say when you negotiated to 2 weeks? Did they say anything or just agree?

Still on the topic of this thread I know you should keep looking until you have actually signed the paperwork if not actually have walked in the door but even though I know I should I still find it very hard to do. Once I have accepted a contract I don't stop completely but I do slow down my search which I know I shouldn't!
                    Ahh, this isn't 2 weeks notice, but 2 weeks until I start, allowing me to give an extra week where I currently am, to look like a better guy than I otherwise could. Not sure what notice period I will have in the new contract. As far as negotiating does go, I'd have thought a good angle would be precedent. "That's what my previous contracts all said" shouldn't really put any Felines in any Columbiformes

Comment

Working...
                    X