• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Different rates pre and post interview/offer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different rates pre and post interview/offer

Hi

I was offered a reasonable rate for a gig v close to home for once (advantage). When being put forward, the agent requested upfront references which I suspected as fishing and he relented.

Anyway, he sent forward 5 candidates and 2 of us have been selected (including myself). He then rings me the same afternoon saying that he has spoken to people there and he suspects that they want to reduce rates due to budgets etc and how flexible would I be to this. I now get a call from him stating that they are offering me the role but at 50 pounds less per day.

I know my choice is a simple accept or reject the role, but what are your thoughts?

This happens a lot. The agent is taking the pi55. The script goes like this -

1 Tell the agent that you're going to call the bloke who you met from the client co to double check.

2 The agent says to give him a few minutes and he'll get back you.

3 Then within 15 minutes the agent calls you back having got you the £50 back as if by magic.
    Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 28 March 2011, 17:53.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Why would the agent do this if they are on a fixed percentage (assumption)?

I also assume that the agent would fed the other successful guy the same spiel?
      Last edited by RockyBalboa; 28 March 2011, 18:14.

Comment

The other contractor probably agreed to 50 quid a day less than you so to avoid any awkwardness, the agent is probably trying to get you in at the same rate.

He wouldnt try and negotiate you down if he was on a fixed percentage margin.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

The agent will also tell the client that you asked for £50 more thus maximizing his profits both ways, such is the life of the middlemen...

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            This happens a lot. The agent is taking the pi55. The script goes like this -

1 Tell the agent that you're going to call the bloke who you met from the client co to double check.

3 Then within 15 minutes the agent calls you back having got you the £50 back as if by magic.
            Or alternatively, script goes

2 The agent says best of luck.

3 You don't have the clients details so have no choice but to then climb down, looking a bit silly.

2 The agent says best of luck.

3 You ring the client and they tell you to negotiate through the agency, that's why the agency is there.

3 You never hear from the agency again.

2 The agent says best of luck

3 You speak to the client, who says they will discuss with the agency. You never hear from either again.

There are lots of ways that it can pan out - only threaten to do something if you are (a) in a position to do it and (b) willing to do it.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Well I have asked a friend of a friend who works in the same co. and he says:

I suspect the agency knew the rates all along and wanted to reel you in first rather than be upfront about it OR they just threw CVs at the client & then managed the fallout. Difficult to know but would ask if they would be prepared to be open book with you as a show of good faith, that should help flush out the position. I would also say to them that this is strange since all agencies are on a fixed % and rate card so they should not be getting beaten up on rate.

Comment

Originally posted by RockyBalboa View Post
                Why would the agent do this if they are on a fixed percentage (assumption)?
                If they are on a fixed percentage then they may be trying to negotiate a better deal for the client. Alternatively, the client may say "Offer this guy the job. See if he will come in at X - £50, if he doesn't then try the other bloke. If they won't budge on the rate then come back to us and we will tell you how to proceed".

Of course, the suspicion is always going to be that they are trying to pad their margin. Ask them straight up how much their cut is. The better agencies will be open about this and tell you. If they won't then be careful about doing business with them.
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

I've had post-interview rate reductions a couple of times. Each time I said "no" and I got my original rate.

Don't take it too personally: agents and clients may just be doing their job when they ask you to take a reduction. And remember you can do the same, ie ask for more money
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Well, agent states their percentage is 15% and they are unable to budge on that. I have asked him to try to negotiate more for me and he will come back to me.

Quite frankly, I am not sure if he is just lieing or tried it on with the client in terms of sending them CVs and managing the fall. Surely, the end client would look at the total cost of the resource (agent %age plus candidate rate) as opposed to just the candidate rate?

Will see what happens.
                    Last edited by RockyBalboa; 29 March 2011, 09:41. Reason: add more detail

Comment

Working...
                    X