• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3 months / 6 months contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kevinlam View Post
    1) Does a min 6 months contract really mean they will hire you for at least 6 months?
    No - it means that they think they might need you for that length of time, less or more.

2) I have a very secure permie job at the moment and feeling that I need at least 6 months contract to make it worth the move, am I correct to assume a 6 months contract is safe enough?
    It's irrelevant. If you can't afford to take the risk, then don't take the risk.

3) I have seen several 3 months contract on offer, but I don't see the point of having them unless I am already on a contract. I don't really want to have the 3 months contract and then back on the bench for another 6 months having come out of a secure permie job.
    If you don't like it, don't take it. But you could well be waiting a long time for a contract if this is your criteria.

4) For 3 months contract, do they usually get renewed? i don't see anyone could produce anything useful in that kind of time.
    Depends on the contract and the requirements. Some might get extended - some clients will use a three month gig to get to know you and then decide whether to keep you or not (e.g. last year, I was offered 3 months. Between interview and offer, changed the 4 months - that took an hour to get the extension. Turned into 11 months in total before I left to do something else). Some contracts will be less than 3 months - I did a four week "troubleshooting" gig a while back, where the remit was to come in, fix the problems, then **** off. Best contract I've done so far.

--

Sounds to me like you're not confident that you can survive out there, if you are worried that you need 6 month gigs to keep you going. These are more rare these days, as clients have to jump through more hoops to justify the expense. If you take a 12 month gig, and they terminate with immediate effect on day 2, what are you then going to do?

There are a number of experienced contractors on here that have had / are experiencing long bench times - I had seven months off a couple of years back. Planned on two months, and then couldn't get anything that was of interest. RichardCranium was on benefits during his downturn. If you aren't prepared to face the potential risk, then stay where you are.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Hi there,

I am new to contracting and trying to get my 1st contract at the moment. I have a few questions which I hope you could help me with:

1) Does a min 6 months contract really mean they will hire you for at least 6 months?

2) I have a very secure permie job at the moment and feeling that I need at least 6 months contract to make it worth the move, am I correct to assume a 6 months contract is safe enough?

3) I have seen several 3 months contract on offer, but I don't see the point of having them unless I am already on a contract. I don't really want to have the 3 months contract and then back on the bench for another 6 months having come out of a secure permie job.

4) For 3 months contract, do they usually get renewed? i don't see anyone could produce anything useful in that kind of time.

Kevin

What you dont say is why you want to go contracting. If it's purely for the money then think very very carefully. £400 a day may look great as a rate but if you only work 6 months in the year it's not so good.

I originally went into contracting because if was fed up with the HR bulltulip that goes with being a permie. As it turns out I hit a 6 month dry spell after 4 years and ended up permie again for the next two trying to ride out the recession. In the end it got me anyway as I was made redundant and now I'm back in contracting again by default.

I got lucky when I started, my first 3 month gig was willing to wait for my permie notice and turned into 2 years, and from there I went straight into another contract that ran on for a year that.

I now have a war chest that will keep me going, with mortgage and kids, for a year if I am carefull. In the current climate I'd say that was the bare minimum.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Just to counter the doom and gloom. If you feel you've a reasonable skill set there's a market for the role and this is generally easy to see if in your permie job you're surrounded by other contractors, then I say go for it.

I had no warchest and a 3 month contract but was so cheesed off with HR that I jumped. I'm now on my second contract, 8 months at first and here hopefully to July.

Yes there's a worry about what's round the corner but after 13 months of contracting I've now got more reserve than I've every had and I'm surrounded by guys who were made redundant from the same company I jumped from, so there's not much less security IMHO.

Consider your location, your skills and job type. e.g. Architect, finance in London - you're laughing.
        Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

In theory no, for reasons stek gives. In practice, usually yes. I'd guess over 90% of contracts reach full term. I've had about 40 contracts/renewals and only 1 got terminated early.

That is a very permie way of thinking! It's not about bum on seat duration, it's about how much money you can bank for a rainy day. 3 months on £450/day probably works out safer than 6 months on £275.

It depends on the kind of work: and when you go to meet the client it is usually immediately obvious how much work is actually required. Initial contract lengths rarely have anything to do with that. Lots of companies just have a policy of making initial contracts 3 months long, or can only grab so much budget at a time. Personally, initial contract duration is the last thing I look at when deciding which contracts to chase.

Comment

Working...
          X