• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting at Goldman Sachs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was on a short projects (3 months) for GS in about 2004. Didn't seem worse than anywhere else.

We were on an hourly rate so we would be trying to stay back late for the extra cash and there would only ever be a few people around.

Nice canteen and some cracking birds about the place.

Comment

Yes I stress I didn't work there and wheoever it was may just have had a bad experience, so it might be worth a try. I have to say I do hear many tales in the City of 14 hour days, but often contractors who've worked in these places do say even though permies were doing 14 hour days they went home at 5 or 6. I did work with a team at one bank and they were sending mails to me at 1.00 or 2:00 am, I worked in Frankfurt and buggered off home at 5:30 pm.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

9-5, if you take a lunch hour thats a 7 hour day, be surprised if you got away with that at most places. Most contracts specifiy a "professional day" as min 8 hours.

OR

Does everyone include their lunch break in their 8 hours and I'm just being a dogsbody?
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I see, so even if the manager asked me to stay late, I can refuse on the basis of the contract? I know if it's those odd few days for go live, i'd probably do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
            9-5, if you take a lunch hour thats a 7 hour day, be surprised if you got away with that at most places. Most contracts specifiy a "professional day" as min 8 hours.

OR

Does everyone include their lunch break in their 8 hours and I'm just being a dogsbody?
            9-5 includes an hour for lunch. 35 or 37.5 hour week is a "professional" week, 40 hour weeks went out with the 1990s.

Comment

Doesn't matter what hours it says on your contract - you will be expected to work all hours.

Most of the investment banks work like that. You get in at 8AM bright and early only to discover you are last at your desk and everyone is staring at you.

You go out for lunch and a walk. Nope, all your colleagues will be eating at their desks and giving you the nasty stare when you return.

You get up too many times to have a pee and it will be noted.

You want to go home when your 7 or 8 hours is done? LMAO!

It is no life.

IMPO the people who work in those banks are either fools or just greedy. Their lives are passing by.

The permies do it for the bonuses. You often find that most of them were born in South East London and dreamed of working in one of the banks as a kid.

When I worked in the banks they reminded me of drones.

I could not wait to get out. I have been offered £600 per day by one bank at the moment but even thought there are no other offers out there and work is very scarce I have no interest in going back to the banks.

Life is too short for that 'lifestyle' and working with drones.

Does this answer your question.

Comment

yes and i've worked in places with the exact opposite.

permies strolling in at 8.59am and coats on a 4.59pm ready to log out of phones

moaning they dont get the chance to do xyz, moaning about contractors earning £xxxpd yet dont want to put the effort in.

Comment

Originally posted by downsouth View Post
                  yes and i've worked in places with the exact opposite.

permies strolling in at 8.59am and coats on a 4.59pm ready to log out of phones

moaning they dont get the chance to do xyz, moaning about contractors earning £xxxpd yet dont want to put the effort in.

Investment Banks?

Comment

indeed, obv some roles/areas do work long hours, been 1 of them myself, but hourly rate on those contracts

Comment

Originally posted by PropertyCrashUK View Post
                      Doesn't matter what hours it says on your contract - you will be expected to work all hours.

Most of the investment banks work like that. You get in at 8AM bright and early only to discover you are last at your desk and everyone is staring at you.

You go out for lunch and a walk. Nope, all your colleagues will be eating at their desks and giving you the nasty stare when you return.

You get up too many times to have a pee and it will be noted.

You want to go home when your 7 or 8 hours is done? LMAO!

It is no life.

IMPO the people who work in those banks are either fools or just greedy. Their lives are passing by.

The permies do it for the bonuses. You often find that most of them were born in South East London and dreamed of working in one of the banks as a kid.

When I worked in the banks they reminded me of drones.

I could not wait to get out. I have been offered £600 per day by one bank at the moment but even thought there are no other offers out there and work is very scarce I have no interest in going back to the banks.

Life is too short for that 'lifestyle' and working with drones.

Does this answer your question.
                      My IB experience has been better than yours and still is.

In around 7:45-8, before everyone else, and out at 5-5:15, once again before everyone else.

Out for a couple of smoke breaks, lunch min 30 mins.

Let the permies whinge. They are all fighting to get up the ladder quicker than everyone else, so glad I'm not part of that game.
                      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                      X