• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie Needs Advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Needs Advice

I've read with interest the threads that deal with agents you definitely don't like, but can you recommend any decent agents, please?

I'm new to this game and really need all the help I can get. I've been caught in the trap of fishing from an agent this week who has suddenly gone on holiday even though there was an "urgent" contract to fill. I'm starting that list that was mentioned titled "never use again". I'm also mithering them to death which is actually quite fun it's own way.....but highlights the fact that I am bored and need work.

Any positive advice gratefully accepted.

Mabozza
    Never trust a man when left alone with a tea cosy and doesn't try it on.

I'm currently using Abraxas and have been for nearly a year now - I've no complaints and they're always very helpful. My only criticism is they don't keep in touch as often as I'd like - I take the initiative to call - but that may well be normal.

Good luck

Comment

Comment

What is it you do.

I can recommend a couple of guys for Technical (what I call, non IT) work.

tim

Comment

I have to put in a good word for Sanderson here. I now have the rate I asked for, an outside IR35 contract (where I'm not mentioned by name anywhere), I was never asked for references, and they told me their margin (11%). I've never come across them until this current contract, but I have to say I'm rather impressed with them.
          In answer to the OP, as a general rule I'd say as long as you avoid all the S3 crowd (Huxley, Futures, Progressive and a few others - have a look on the S3 specific thread) Computer People, and MSB (who were the original cowboys) then you ought to be OK.
          Just follow the golden rules (keep your brain switched on and don't give out any unnecessary information) you should be OK. Remember, you are dealing with professional sales people, they are trained to extract information from you without you realising it.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I've had a couple of approaches from Sanderson recently. The rates have been laughably low (even compared to the generally low rates that I'm finding in the UK for what I do).

I have concluded that either: the agent has ramped up the margin, or they are trying to buy a client by telling them that they can place people at lower rates than other agents are charging and hoping to find some mugs to go along with it.

I sent them away with a flee in their ear and I shan't be dealing with them until/unless they offer me the going rate for my skills.

What is this S3 company (I've heard of the individual parts but not the group)

Comment

Known Sanderson for years, they are small and efficient and honest. They also know their markets. If you're really getting grief with low rates then either your expectations are wrong or the agent is being "imaginative" with margins - if it's the latter, drop me a PM with some details and I'll have a word.

They are among the small number of good guys out there, but there's always exceptions!
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Rates, I'm looking for 40+ because that's what I'm on at the moment and what I was on when I left the UK in '99.

Most agents (including the ones that I trust) are suggesting that 35-38 is more achievable in the current UK market. Sanderson offered 25-30 for the two roles in question, this is someone having a larf.

I can't give you specific examples as I've been looking since before Xmas and I've made no attempt to keep them up to date with my job search.

I suspect that they are out of 'their market' with my type of work.

tim

Comment

London or South West? There's about a 20% differential there for a start. Why do you think I live in Somerset and work in London...?
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
                    London or South West? There's about a 20% differential there for a start. Why do you think I live in Somerset and work in London...?

So you wont find life intellectually challenging all week
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X