• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cake and eat it - Some advice please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much of a rate increase would you need to cancel out the fact you don't like the team leader? I would try for that but be ready to move - it sounds like you want to move so think the only reason you should stay is for more bucks - at 13 yrs on a contract you shouldn't need to find anything in two weeks but if you don't have a big warchest then stay
    sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      That's the kind of comment an uneducated agent would make.

Multiple renewals = good business. If you were a supplier in any other field, would you dump a customer just because you had done business with them for 'too long'?

So why should it be any different for an I.T. consultancy?
      Totally agree. The agent isn't interested in how long you've been in one role, they're just bothered about their commission. In fact, not one agent has even questioned the 13 years, they're all about how much do you want, and how much they can make.

I think there's a bit of envy creeping in here, with all the "you're not a proper contractor" talk. As I said further up the thread, if you're in a decent contract, paying a decent rate, the work is ok, and you're literally up the road, who wouldn't accept a renewal? My urge to move on, is stemming from being bored with the work now.

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
        13 YEARS!!!!!

I don't know whether to congratulate you on getting a contract for that long on contractors money or to think your mad for being there so long as a contractor!

Also the fact you've been working this way with no notice period, so as long as I have it right that has meant you have to stay the whole term of the contract and could not leave, that is mad to me!! I know there is a lot of debate with tax as to whether its good to have a notice period or not but to have a year contract each time with no notice period there is no way I would!

Good on you though if this has worked out for you but like others have said as you have been working that long and have the money, take a break. Another job will come up and a change of scenery is good otherwise you do start feeling more trapped and you could find this time next year saying 'just one more year' and so on and then before you know it it would have been 20 years and even harder to leave.

More to life than work.
        Stupid of me I know, but I didn't actually realise that I didn't have a notice period. It's a bit of a nonsense anyway, if I wanted to move on, the client wouldn't have had any issue with a 28 day notice period, and the agent can't exactly force you to stay, I'd have just asked the client to invoke their own 28 day notice period, benefits of having a good relationship with them. In the past, I've managed to get out of contracts which didn't have a notice period.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          I guess it partly depends on one's outgoings and whether you have allowed yourself to become accustomed to a more expensive lifestyle. It's quite easy to say that you would retire after x years' of contracting, but what if you start spending more or buy a bigger house, or perhaps you aren't married yet and don't yet have kids?

When I was younger (and single) I had planned to be semi-retired by 35. The plan was to have my one BTL property all paid off, and a couple of other smaller investments, so that I would have about £1,000 a month coming in without having to work. I then got married, bought a bigger house, had a couple of kids, and now suddenly I need more like £5,000 a month to maintain this lifestyle (which includes planning for the kids' school/uni fees etc). So that'll keep me on the treadmill for a lot longer.
          Another sensible post, and mirrors exactly what I've been through. All this talk of retiring and being a millionaire after 17 years contracting are totally wide of the mark. When I started off contracting, aged 26, I was on around £25ph, even before I started my 13 year stint here, I was on around £40ph. It's not been a steady 17 years at a constant astronomical rate. There's been a couple of kids, a much bigger house, school fees, new cars, general day to day living. Not saying I haven't got lots saved up, but retirement and "millionaire", I don't think so.

Comment

yeah not sure I buy all the 'your not a proper contractor' stuff either, I'm enjoying my current role and it pays well so am looking to maximise my duration in it
            sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Originally posted by waccoe View Post
              Totally agree. The agent isn't interested in how long you've been in one role, they're just bothered about their commission. In fact, not one agent has even questioned the 13 years, they're all about how much do you want, and how much they can make.

I think there's a bit of envy creeping in here, with all the "you're not a proper contractor" talk. As I said further up the thread, if you're in a decent contract, paying a decent rate, the work is ok, and you're literally up the road, who wouldn't accept a renewal? My urge to move on, is stemming from being bored with the work now.
              I completely agree and I would have done exactly the same thing in those circumstances. It sounds like you're considering a change for sensible reasons and you can afford to take the time to find a new role that you like.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
                yeah not sure I buy all the 'your not a proper contractor' stuff either, I'm enjoying my current role and it pays well so am looking to maximise my duration in it
                Oh look MF, someone with good business acumen!

Comment

Originally posted by waccoe View Post
                  Another sensible post, and mirrors exactly what I've been through. All this talk of retiring and being a millionaire after 17 years contracting are totally wide of the mark. When I started off contracting, aged 26, I was on around £25ph, even before I started my 13 year stint here, I was on around £40ph. It's not been a steady 17 years at a constant astronomical rate. There's been a couple of kids, a much bigger house, school fees, new cars, general day to day living. Not saying I haven't got lots saved up, but retirement and "millionaire", I don't think so.
                  I think you have made the mistake a lot of people have, living within your current means. Maybe you should read "Rich dad, poor dad". You need to start making your income work for you, not just spending it.
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                    I think you have made the mistake a lot of people have, living within your current means. Maybe you should read "Rich dad, poor dad". You need to start making your income work for you, not just spending it.

You've mentioned this book a few times now and I have to agree it is one of the most eye-opening books I have ever read. It completely changed the way I thought about money.

However, it's not as valid today as it was 10 years ago (which incidentally is when I first read it, followed by the next 3 in the series, all mostly recycled rubbish). The Western economic cycle is very much different now. The book is still helpful, just not as much - I wish someone would give me a 2011 version!

From the sounds of it, waccoe has lived within his means but it's not clear whether he's invested the surplus or just left it in the bank.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                      I've been contracting 22 years and say that to myself every year. Never happens, though. The lure of contracting gold is just too much.

Mind you, I do take long breaks off between contracts, so I guess that counts.
                      Yes, I think that counts. I'm an old fart anyway I haven't got more than another 8 or 9 years to go and hopefully I'll be in the "doing it because it's interesting" game rather than because I have to.
                      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                      X