• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice needed/jumpin ship....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed/jumpin ship....

i have been working in my current contract for 3 weeks. i took it as i was out of work and needed something even though it was lower paid and a simpler role. Now i have an interview at another place which is more money 3mther and been put forward for another role 6mther even more money.
    do i take the 3mth if offered and then jump ship if i get interview and offered the 6mther.?? i only ask as it takes that long to get set up with umbrella company and then move again. i relalise this is all speculation but just wondered. hope that made sense

What are the terms of your current contract? Length and notice periods. If you do walk out you are burning that bridge and won't get any repeat business.

Comment

It's been discussed a fair few times and more than once in the last month or so. I expect you can find the threads with a tiny bit of effort.

Personally I don't believe in abandoning a contract you've agreed to, but if you absolutely must then as a minimum you should give the notice specified in the contract and ensure you do a quality handover.

Comment

its due to end middle of june.a week by the looks of it. i would be potentially burning two bridges in such a short space of time in order to get the higher paid role and have the hassle of cancelling/arranging contracts with my umbrella which has only just been sorted for this role,after 3 weeks.on the plus side both roles are a lot more per hour ( 5ph and 7ph more) and are closer to home...

Comment

I would be tempted not to take the 3 monther and then jump to the 6 monther if you get it, obviously you can but bad practice in general.

Can you not hold out to see if you get at least an interview for the 6 monther?

Comment

Originally posted by SPURSN17 View Post
            its due to end middle of june.a week by the looks of it. i would be potentially burning two bridges in such a short space of time in order to get the higher paid role and have the hassle of cancelling/arranging contracts with my umbrella which has only just been sorted for this role,after 3 weeks.on the plus side both roles are a lot more per hour ( 5ph and 7ph more) and are closer to home...
            Don't be a rate whore is my advice. Get a job, do the gig, do it superbly (after all, you're a contractor), don't renew if you don't want to and leave with your head held high.

Contemplating crapping on two clients for a max £2ph more (I'm assuming the 6monther is £2ph more than the 3monther you're looking for) is poor form IMHO.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. But then I h ave a borderline obsessive compulsion to do such a good job that the client loves me. Also, I wouldn't want to burn any bridges, as you don't know when/where the people you've let down will appear in the future...

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
              Don't be a rate whore is my advice. Get a job, do the gig, do it superbly (after all, you're a contractor), don't renew if you don't want to and leave with your head held high.

Contemplating crapping on two clients for a max £2ph more (I'm assuming the 6monther is £2ph more than the 3monther you're looking for) is poor form IMHO.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. But then I h ave a borderline obsessive compulsion to do such a good job that the client loves me. Also, I wouldn't want to burn any bridges, as you don't know when/where the people you've let down will appear in the future...
              Totally WHS. I wish I wasn't so anal about this, I keep telling myself it is just business but I too would find it very hard leave a client without a hell of a lot of incentive.

The OP doesn't say how much is more money. If it is 100's per day then it is a tough decision. If you are talking anything up to £50 then I would forget it and do the decent thing. It just isn't worth it for that amount of cash in my book.

I just think this attitude of bouncing from contract to contract is generally pretty poor and I am absolutely certain this will come back and bite you in the ass in the future. The last 3 gigs I have had have been gained through knowledge of people on other gigs and/or worked with people from the past. I am sure I wouldn't have had such a smooth ride if I had abused contracts I had in the past.

I would stick where you are and aim for the 6 months IF it is a very big change.

Always remember as well though, until the ink is dried on the contract you have nothing so don't worry yourself too much until you have actually been offered the role. Interview <> offer.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Totally WHS. I wish I wasn't so anal about this, I keep telling myself it is just business but I too would find it very hard leave a client without a hell of a lot of incentive.

The OP doesn't say how much is more money.
                Yes they do:

Originally posted by SPURSN17 View Post
                on the plus side both roles are a lot more per hour ( 5ph and 7ph more) and are closer to home...
                Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                If it is 100's per day then it is a tough decision. If you are talking anything up to £50 then I would forget it and do the decent thing. It just isn't worth it for that amount of cash in my book.
                I agree - we're talking about £40 to £56 a day here, assuming an 8 hour day. The figure that is more relevant (but not revealed) is what kind of percentage increase are we talking here.

I don't look for work when I'm in a contract. If an agent brings something to me near the end of the contract, then I consider it. I left my last contract after giving 5 days notice, but I was two weeks from the end of an 11 month gig so ended up leaving 5 days early to go to the next one, which was too good to turn down.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I'm not anal about it and have a different view point to NL on this.

If you have a notice period on your contract and the change in location and/or rate makes it worthwhile to you then by all means make that change.

Clients & agencies do not think twice about getting rid of temporary resource/contractors and in my opinion(depedent on the type of work you do) neither you.

It would be poor show to say jump ship in the middle of dev project where you are the sole developer, have learnt IP and moving would kill the project. That would be a choice for you.

But say for a support role, or part of a team / testing etc where the impact is low then you don't even have to consider impact.

Your choice but it should be up to you. We all know that NL operates one of those 'IT tax avoidance Ltd companies' :
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

current role is 13ph(im also the only it contact on site so v akward)
                    one i went for interview today is 3mnther ''upto 18ph'' (have since found out this is to cover while they recruit for perm).
                    and the 6monther is 20ph.

think i would be better holding off for the 20ph its vmware/server role.

Also on a side note has anyone dealt with Addeco.my curent role is through them and they are totally usless.im 3 weeks(not long but is due to go part time soon) in to the role and im still not setup to be paid as they havent signed the contract with the brolly. also they have sent a payment for my first two weeks with tax taken off.useless will never use again.....
                    Last edited by SPURSN17; 10 February 2011, 18:00.

Comment

Working...
                    X