• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

mileage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mileage

Hi im am billing a client of mine.

I have carried a substancial amount of mileage, that we agreed 40p per mile, do i charge VAT on mileage and expenses or not?
    Gerrrrrrrrrraaaaaaardddddddd. Wot a Hit son, what a hit!

If you're billing him, you charge VAT (the reason being, the fuel costs are an element of your provision of services and you therefore have to charge VAT). He can reclaim it after all, so it's tax neutral.

There's a different argument about VAT on your own expenses (assuming it's your car and you charge your company for it), where you offset the VAT element of the 40p (roughly 1.4p but different people have different numbers, as usual!) against your output tax.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
    X