• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Considering Contracting - is it worth it ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering Contracting - is it worth it ?

Hi Guys,

I am currently in a permanent role earning around £38k - fed up with travelling - missing family life. Am considering contracting so I can pick and choose where I work.

Would I be better off financially by contracting - I live in the south east so would probably look to contract in London.

Any feedback would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Nick.

This guy's a troll......... isn't he?
    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Thanks for your constructive help...

Comment

Don't go contract on the expectation of dictating where you work, it won't happen! That said, plenty of work in and around London for most skills so you could be lucky. £38k is roughly equivalent to £40 an hour - are your technical skills up to meeting that? Check out Jobserve to do some rate comparisons.

And before anyone else says it, read the first time guides on here and at www.pcg.org.uk - you must find out how much you don't know that you need to before giving up a real job!
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

As for seeing more of your family, I'm sure there are those on this board with some useful experience of contracting away from home etc etc etc...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by thorpen
            Hi Guys,

I am currently in a permanent role earning around £38k - fed up with travelling - missing family life. Am considering contracting so I can pick and choose where I work.

Would I be better off financially by contracting - I live in the south east so would probably look to contract in London.

Any feedback would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Nick.
            Hi Nick,

if you are away from your family in your current role then to me it suggests that much of the work in your particular market is away from where you reside (or why else would your employer spend money on hotels and subsistence plus the hassles of an unhappy employee ?)

That being the case, I suggest you seriously look at your target market and determine if you honestly can get sufficient work of the right quality which is commutable from home - if you can then why cant your current employer ?

I am not trying to be "smart" but speaking as a contractor who has spent the past umpteen years away from family (take a look at my user ID !!!)

Comment

Originally posted by eternalnomad
              ... speaking as a contractor who has spent the past umpteen years away from family (take a look at my user ID !!!)
              Mine was alread taken

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
                £38k is roughly equivalent to £40 an hour
                I know there's lots of long threads about this, but I think that's a little misleading. £40 per hour will be about double the take home pay of £38K permie as long as you can keep working. I agree that taking into account all the other perks of permanent employment it's not that simple, but not everyone has all those perks (I didn't). The issue is if you can keep working, and that depends on what skill(s) you have.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by thorpen
                  yes
                  Plan A is located just about here.
                  If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Originally posted by XLMonkey
                    yes
                    and no...

HTH.

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X