• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Family business tax back on the agenda.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    With all due respect (?), I am going along with Mal's view here as he has proven a number of times that he has an informed opinion. You have often spoken with a rash and somewhat naive vision of the industry, and though I appreciate your effort, I will not accept it as an educated part of this discussion.
    Go and speak to a lawyer then.
    Or go and look at your contract.
    Naive vision of the industry? I don't think so. Different, I accept - I work on the other side of the fence to you - but I am a VERY long way from being Naive.

Merry Christmas to you too........
    "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
    SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
      I am a VERY long way from being Naive
      Yes, he has 8 years, yes, count 'em. 8 YEARS! experience!

^
      Cloud Computing - Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by monobrow View Post
        Yes, he has 8 years, yes, count 'em. 8 YEARS! experience!

^
        Which is 8 years more experience than you have, so pipe down.

And FYI I have 8 years of experience in Direct recruitment, a further 4 years in direct marketing, and 2 years of direct IT sales.

Why would you even feel the need to comment on this though?

Troll
        "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
        SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
          Which is 8 years more experience than you have, so pipe down.

And FYI I have 8 years of experience in Direct recruitment, a further 4 years in direct marketing, and 2 years of direct IT sales.

Why would you even feel the need to comment on this though?

Troll
          No, not a troll. Like all contractors he suffers from the recruitment "consultant" box ticker who knows everything about sales and nothing about the product they're selling. You may be one of the exceptions - they do exist, although your job history is still all about sales and marketing - but 90% of the people I deal with have never heard of Service Management or ITIL and are utterly incapable of dealing with the fact that if I can do lead management of a £70m service delivery improvement programme, I'm probably fairly capable of running a single project without falling over and crying. I may even have a reasonable grasp of things like change management Prince 2 and how IT and the business inter-relate.

I've been checking every agent I deal with on LinkedIn. Perhaps I've hit a bad patch, but the last six have amassed a grand total of three years seven months in IT recruitment between them (whoo hoo!), and none of them have ever worked in IT. Doesn't fill me with confidence that they are capable of understanding a 16 year freelance career, all at a senior level.

So you'll forgive us being just a little sceptical about who's making the decisions. We know our trade, you know yours (actually, I know a fair bit about yours as well, come to that) and as you say, they are not the same.

Also, I suspect my understanding of the work of the OTS is at least as good as yours and almost certainly better informed.

Anwyay, rant over. Have a good Christmas
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
            Why is the remark either sexist or racist?????
            Lisa,

clicked on your linked in and then your website....

Myths and facts section:

"....and worst case scenario you could be prosecuted for tax avoidance."

please explain this FUD?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              I fear the Australian 80/20 type of rule. I would think that most contractors work at a single client at any one time, and - given the chance - a good contractor will be able to win extensions through proposals or strong client relationship building.

Most clients I work at have fairly long requirements of 6 months to several years. Many of them simply would not allow working for multiple clients, due to confidentiality agreements (banking for example).

Given these situations, my concern would be that I would not be seen as a "genuine contractor" because I am at a single client for the whole financial year.

Yes there are also many contractors who work at multiple clients in a year, perhaps on several short-term assignments. It's just a different situation but mine is no less "genuine" contracting than that;.
              Confidentiality reasons apart, a fellow contractor had more than one client on the go for several years, doing 3 or 4 days a week and the rest at another.

His comment was that the staff from both clients treated him with a suspicion that he might be using their time to work for the other client. In his opinion it wasn't a very satisfactory situation, and he was certainly missing out on interesting projects.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
              X