• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New working address

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with Doohg on this - I'd definitely be a ratty miserable bastard with that amount of commuting.

But as to your problem, open lines of communication are the key here, I suspect they aren't going to be happy to learn that you're billing for hours you're not actually working for them.

Comment

I couldn't be bothered with the 2hr 40min each way, never mind the 3 hr 10.

I've also been pretty lucky so far in that I've never needed to travel more than 1hr each way for a contract - which is my current one.

As others have said, instead of getting all bent out of shape straight away, explain the situation and try and get compressed hours, WFH, and/or stay over at least 1 night a week.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I see your point but I couldn't do it. I'd be knackered when I got home and morose/resentful in the morning... with young kids you'd barely see them and I'd end up fighting with the wife... but then we're all different.
        My choice at the mo is doing a big commute, or pushing trolleys at Tesco
        Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
          Address A journey time, each way, each day = 2h40m
          Address B journey time, each way, each day = 3h10m
          That sort of commute isn't going to be sustainable.

The only solution is to talk to the client about it. Do a couple of nights away with long days and then a couple of days WFH.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            As others have said, instead of getting all bent out of shape straight away, explain the situation and try and get compressed hours, WFH, and/or stay over at least 1 night a week.
            I don't mind the "trying" part, it's the "trying and failing" part that scares me.

Anyway, i've decided to speak to client about it. Contact is in the office later today or tomorrow. Will grab him when i see him.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I see your point but I couldn't do it. I'd be knackered when I got home and morose/resentful in the morning... with young kids you'd barely see them and I'd end up fighting with the wife... but then we're all different.
              I wouldn't do it either and neither would the other contractors in my family.

I was just giving the only reason I could think of for doing it after hearing a few contractors argue down the phone about working hours etc.

BTW People should be aware that even if people in the office say they can't speak your (foreign) language there will be someone who understands enough to know what you are saying on the phone.

Right I need to work on my Hungarian eavesdropping skills.......
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

BTW People should be aware that even if people in the office say they can't speak your (foreign) language there will be someone who understands enough to know what you are saying on the phone.
                I learnt that mistake after a waiter in a 5 star Istanbul hotel insulted another table of Brits in German. Although they did deserve it the waiter had an awful lot of explaining to do after we paid our bill.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
                  I don't mind the "trying" part, it's the "trying and failing" part that scares me.

Anyway, i've decided to speak to client about it. Contact is in the office later today or tomorrow. Will grab him when i see him.
                  Its strange to me that a client would accept someone who would have to commute so far. It's obvious he isnt going to be giving the same quality of work as someone local or a reasonable distance away.

I cant say I hope your chat makes things better. I hope you quit and find something a lot closer, as I think that will the best outcome for all concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                    Its strange to me that a client would accept someone who would have to commute so far. It's obvious he isnt going to be giving the same quality of work as someone local or a reasonable distance away.
                    It's none of the client's business how far you have to commute.

And to be honest if you were a client using contractors regularly you would expect those with a long commute to stay nearby during the working week.

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                    I cant say I hope your chat makes things better. I hope you quit and find something a lot closer, as I think that will the best outcome for all concerned.
                    That's the most sensible option in this case. Even with a 3 hour train journey I would be knackered.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Fook-a-doodle-doooooo

I spoke to client. I proposed WFH for 2 days a week. He needs to speak to his bosses.

In the meantime, he's happy for me to include that extra 1 hour travel time as part of my 7.5 hr working day

Comment

Working...
                      X