• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jobserve Resume

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jobserve Resume

Has anyone used the Jobserve smart resume function for including CV details or do you attach your CV as roles are applied for ?

Also on a CV should I included just the area I live or the full address, or does it not matter ? Currently I have always used the latter.
    Last edited by kaiser78; 26 November 2010, 10:42.

I don't like it. It takes control away from me, my CV is my sales brochure, I want it formatted the way I see fit.

Same with the other job portals that reformat your uploaded CV to add their own information. Jobsite is the worst for it, it tries to be "helpful" by sticking a summary sheet at the front when agents download it often completely messing up the formatting of the rest of the CV. If it's information I want agencies to have then I'll stick it in my CV, I don't need Jobsite to do it for me.

On the rare times I apply for roles through an advertised position I'll send a copy of my CV directly using any email link I can find rather than going through their portal that will probably try to "help" by sticking their own stuff on my uploaded CV. I turned up to one interview a few years ago and the client had an eight page version of my CV that the portal (can't remember which one now) had added multiple page breaks almost at random with a few mid paragraph.

Edit: on locations: I have my full address on my generic CV. Some people do, some people don't, I don't think it matters really...

Comment

Don't put any location details at all. I have lost a number roles as the recruiter/agent stated they were worried about me living too far away and not being there on time. I reminded them it is my business to turn up at the allocated time and whatever goes on before or after those time is nothing for them to worry about but they just didn't get that and went for someone based on location. I try to avoid any discussion about where I am based etc like the plague... which isn't easy with a thick northern accent but hey ho...

Edit: on locations: I have my full address on my generic CV. Some people do, some people don't, I don't think it matters really...
      I guess you also have your mobile number on as well. Address and phone number on public show... heading for disaster. I would never do this. Someone rings you, you are at work, they burgle your house... or do I just live in bad areas. Either way it is a waste of valuable experience space on my CV. In this day and age your address is totally irrelevant.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 26 November 2010, 11:24.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

With Jobserve I have set the option that they can't look at my CV without me first letting them, they only get the basic details first. A mail comes to me stating that someone is interested and I then do a search on the company and check them out and the role before letting them. With the German site I use, you can not only put up your CV in a generic format but also modified ones, a website, classified adverts and if you put any details such as telephone or address they get back to and tell you to take them off.
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Don't put any location details at all. I have lost a number roles as the recruiter/agent stated they were worried about me living too far away and not being there on time. I reminded them it is my business to turn up at the allocated time and whatever goes on before or after those time is nothing for them to worry about but they just didn't get that and went for someone based on location. I try to avoid any discussion about where I am based etc like the plague... which isn't easy with a thick northern accent but hey ho...

I guess you also have your mobile number on as well. Address and phone number on public show... heading for disaster. I would never do this. Someone rings you, you are at work, they burgle your house... or do I just live in bad areas. Either way it is a waste of valuable experience space on my CV. In this day and age your address is totally irrelevant.
          Same here don't have address as you can lose roles based on client reservations about distance.

I prefer to upload my version and not use the smart CV.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I see your point but some job portals do it for you. For example, if you have a Jobsite account, the header sheet they give agencies has your contact details on it, Jobsite marks these fields as "mandatory" on their profile editing page. The choice is either mark each field as "not disclosed" or go with it.

I also understand your point about location. I've always been available for contract work anywhere in the UK but some agencies don't get that many of us are quite content to stay away for extended periods of time. I had one who thought a one hour commute for me by train would be "excessive" and refused to put me forward!

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post

I also understand your point about location. I've always been available for contract work anywhere in the UK but some agencies don't get that many of us are quite content to stay away for extended periods of time. I had one who thought a one hour commute for me by train would be "excessive" and refused to put me forward!
              Agent obviously never lived or knows people in the SE then.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                With Jobserve I have set the option that they can't look at my CV without me first letting them, they only get the basic details first. A mail comes to me stating that someone is interested and I then do a search on the company and check them out and the role before letting them.
                [thanks for the coments all]
                This is useful - where do you set this up please ?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Agent obviously never lived or knows people in the SE then.
                  Edinburgh based agent trying to fill a London role. He couldn't believe that I had commuted into London for six years out of the last 10.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                    Also on a CV should I included just the area I live or the full address, or does it not matter ? Currently I have always used the latter.
                    If you are flexible on location or want to work somewhere which isn't near your current address then definitely don't include your address or a landline phone number. I had this issue when I was looking for work in London and based elsewhere. I rejigged the CV, removing the address and changing the number, and got a much better response.

Comment

Working...
                    X