• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why the hell are there in contracts in Manchester?!?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am now applying for contracts withing 50 miles of where I live and looking to jump ship, let's see how it goes and if I can get something by end of Jan.

Comment

Be careful what you wish for, the infrasture to get in and out of Manc City centre is Victorian and utterly tulip, 20 miles away and on a train line but it'll take me 1:15hr+ to get there. Driving is a complete NO NO into the City Centre. I've had contracts in Trafford Park a couple of times, ropey surroundings but a much nicer commute. I've also had work in Hyde if you count that as Manc.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
        Be careful what you wish for, the infrasture to get in and out of Manc City centre is Victorian and utterly tulip, 20 miles away and on a train line but it'll take me 1:15hr+ to get there. Driving is a complete NO NO into the City Centre. I've had contracts in Trafford Park a couple of times, ropey surroundings but a much nicer commute. I've also had work in Hyde if you count that as Manc.
        This^

I did Knutsford (Barclays) from my folks place in South Manchester. Journey was fine (under 30 minutes.)

Traffic going the "other way" (towards Manchester City Centre) was worse than I experience daily in London.
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
          Sorry are you trying to fish for information .

All you need to know is that its one of the few large companies in the blackpool area. The problem with blackpool is that the only option is car. Before I used to commute to crewe and I had the option of Several trains including Virgin (which did it in 15 mins from wilmslow).

Smelly Preston would be a good option to me, I just don't want to be working in the public sector if I can avoid it. I hope I can find one within a 40 min commute next time.
          Siemens or HP then.

There were loads of contracts via the civil service or civil service providers but these are now under review due to Government cuts.

There are loads of contracts in Manchester City centre within walking distance of Picadilly Railway station. For example, GMPTE, the NHS, CIS. Obviously, it depends on your skillset though.

Greater Manchester Police had some roles recently and even took people on before the budget was signed off. Budget not approved so contractors booted.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
          X