• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why the hell are there in contracts in Manchester?!?!"

Collapse

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Sorry are you trying to fish for information .

All you need to know is that its one of the few large companies in the blackpool area. The problem with blackpool is that the only option is car. Before I used to commute to crewe and I had the option of Several trains including Virgin (which did it in 15 mins from wilmslow).

Smelly Preston would be a good option to me, I just don't want to be working in the public sector if I can avoid it. I hope I can find one within a 40 min commute next time.
    Siemens or HP then.

There were loads of contracts via the civil service or civil service providers but these are now under review due to Government cuts.

There are loads of contracts in Manchester City centre within walking distance of Picadilly Railway station. For example, GMPTE, the NHS, CIS. Obviously, it depends on your skillset though.

Greater Manchester Police had some roles recently and even took people on before the budget was signed off. Budget not approved so contractors booted.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Be careful what you wish for, the infrasture to get in and out of Manc City centre is Victorian and utterly tulip, 20 miles away and on a train line but it'll take me 1:15hr+ to get there. Driving is a complete NO NO into the City Centre. I've had contracts in Trafford Park a couple of times, ropey surroundings but a much nicer commute. I've also had work in Hyde if you count that as Manc.
    This^

I did Knutsford (Barclays) from my folks place in South Manchester. Journey was fine (under 30 minutes.)

Traffic going the "other way" (towards Manchester City Centre) was worse than I experience daily in London.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Be careful what you wish for, the infrasture to get in and out of Manc City centre is Victorian and utterly tulip, 20 miles away and on a train line but it'll take me 1:15hr+ to get there. Driving is a complete NO NO into the City Centre. I've had contracts in Trafford Park a couple of times, ropey surroundings but a much nicer commute. I've also had work in Hyde if you count that as Manc.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    I am now applying for contracts withing 50 miles of where I live and looking to jump ship, let's see how it goes and if I can get something by end of Jan.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Thinks back over all my contracts ... I don't think I have ever had two successive contracts within 60 miles of one another.

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    There must be some sort of CV location sensor that means agents will only pick you out if you live over 50 miles away from the role.

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    Have contracted for 9yrs now, managed to stay I. The north west. Bounced between Coop in the city and Barclays in Knutsford for a few years, but since then have done Wigan and Warrington and now in Wythenshawe.

Over the past few weeks had loads of calls about a 'big financial client' desperate for people in mcr city. I guess it's the Coop, because of their integration with Britania.

Saying that there should be enough big companies in mcr city to provide work, there is Coop, BBC, JD Williams, MEN, Direct Line, etc.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Bit patronising ? After 14 years I think I know how contracting works thanks. Had a couple of spells away and expect I will in the future but I trade-off benchtime and a reduced annual take against living away currently.
    The thread is highlighting the odd lack of Manchester based contracts not bemoaning why can't I work at the bottom of the road forever.
    Well said. I said it earlier but you put it into better words than I did!

I won't like to work away but I am willing to do it to avoid going permie. Again I don't like long commutes but I am relatively happy to work in Chester, Liverpool, Crewe, Stoke, Preston, Halifax, Bolton etc etc.

What I can't understand is why Manchester has so little opportunties compared to those tiny little villages.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Bit patronising ? After 14 years I think I know how contracting works thanks. Had a couple of spells away and expect I will in the future but I trade-off benchtime and a reduced annual take against living away currently.
    The thread is highlighting the odd lack of Manchester based contracts not bemoaning why can't I work at the bottom of the road forever.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    All contractors need to be flexible and need to be able to travel to the other end of the country if needs be. Local jobs are not necessarily going to land in your lap. If you're expecting to be able to find jobs within a commutable distance, then perhaps you haven't got the hang of this contracting lark - oh and there's a recession on too, in case you hadn't noticed.

I'm sure there will be several people along in a minute, who've never had to work away from home in their life, but the majority will have had to travel at some time - sorry sweetie, but that's what you signed up for when you became a contractor.

I usually get notification of jobs back home about 2 days after signing extension - as a previous poster said, its sods law.

Good luck with it all.

Leave a comment:

• Green Mango
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    I've found the same. I live in Rochdale and thought it would be a good location giving access to Leeds, Machester, Liverpool and the surrounding areas. In the last 17 years I have worked in Manchester for 18 months! Compare that with 3 years in Leeds, 6 months in Liverpool, 14 months in geneva, 12 months in Chester, 10 months in the US and the rest down south!
    Occassional jobs come up at Thales Sonar in Cheadle Heath.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Yep, same experience here - jobs all over cheshire, even l'pool and wales but nada inside the M60.
    Exception is the odd one at the Co-op that pops up. Contrast for me is Leeds which usually has a fair few available.
    I can't travel at the mo so having to take benchtime and some ugly rates to keep ticking over.
    Yeah, give Co-Op a miss....apparently not that contractor friendly these days....no one I know who has been there recently has wanted to renew.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    I've found the same. I live in Rochdale and thought it would be a good location giving access to Leeds, Machester, Liverpool and the surrounding areas. In the last 17 years I have worked in Manchester for 18 months! Compare that with 3 years in Leeds, 6 months in Liverpool, 14 months in geneva, 12 months in Chester, 10 months in the US and the rest down south!
    whats your speciality?

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
    One of the 'biggies' in Blackpool is the Dept. for Work and Pensions (DWP) or the old DSS.

I did a gig there in the early Noughties .... never again !!

The premises are like a 'step back in time' with browns and beiges ...
    Its not public sector (thank God).

Train to blackpool is not feasible where I work. It would involve parking at train station, 90 min train and then a tram or taxi totalling about 2 hours travel. I do it in car in just over 1 hour.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisPackit
    replied
    One of the 'biggies' in Blackpool is the Dept. for Work and Pensions (DWP) or the old DSS.

I did a gig there in the early Noughties .... never again !!

The premises are like a 'step back in time' with browns and beiges ...
    Last edited by ChrisPackit; 29 November 2010, 13:01.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X