• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Percentage. Does it matter or not?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
    Especially if your company happens to BE a large, corporate business, that happens to be a recruitment company.
    On that specific point, and on the original topic, in my decade+ of contracting I've discovered that the larger the agency, the higher the margin plus the poorer the service both the client and contractor receive. Also, the larger the agency, the less they actually know about contracting and businesses. One massive recruitment agency's "legal department" were arguing strongly that a LLP could not be considered a "limited company" and did not have any independent legal status so I'd have to go on PAYE with them.

A small, well established agency can usually run rings around the larger ones for smaller margins (while still making good profit) combined with greater all-round skills and service for both client and contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
      Oh and I forgot. Bidding for work - again, written.
      What about processing payments and providing remittance advice slips?
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
        What about processing payments and providing remittance advice slips?
        Done by accounts - that's where we put all the people who can't write properly.......
        "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
        SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
          On that specific point, and on the original topic, in my decade+ of contracting I've discovered that the larger the agency, the higher the margin plus the poorer the service both the client and contractor receive. Also, the larger the agency, the less they actually know about contracting and businesses. One massive recruitment agency's "legal department" were arguing strongly that a LLP could not be considered a "limited company" and did not have any independent legal status so I'd have to go on PAYE with them.

A small, well established agency can usually run rings around the larger ones for smaller margins (while still making good profit) combined with greater all-round skills and service for both client and contractor.
          Isn't this just the "smaller companies are more flexible and give a personal touch" argument that has been heard in all industries, as small record shops are crushed by chains, Tesco put corner shops out of business, etc?

It may well be true but a large company also offers stability, a 2-bit agency might be a joy to work with until the day their client goes bust or delays payment. Then you wish you'd been with a soulless, bloated agency with the reserves to withstand such problems.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Isn't this just the "smaller companies are more flexible and give a personal touch" argument that has been heard in all industries, as small record shops are crushed by chains, Tesco put corner shops out of business, etc?

It may well be true but a large company also offers stability, a 2-bit agency might be a joy to work with until the day their client goes bust or delays payment. Then you wish you'd been with a soulless, bloated agency with the reserves to withstand such problems.
            That's why I put "well established" in my point. Some of the small, niche agencies are fantastically profitable on lower margins than the big agencies that target those niche markets as part of their general service.

Comment

Working...
            X