• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Percentage. Does it matter or not?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not funny again....

Originally posted by monobrow View Post
    /Troll On

parasite

"A parasite lives in a close relationship with another organism, its host, and causes it harm. The parasite is dependent on its host for its life functions. A common, well-known type of a parasite is a recruitment agent. They target FTSE 100 companies then attach themselves to the lining of the Hiring Manager, and cause an increase to costs, ear ache and wear oversized watches, particularly Breitling's & Rolex's"

Can't Argue With That!

/Troll Off

Comment

Yeah, well, not *this* thread though..........

my suggestion to you is not to take things so personally. So you work in an industry that feeds off the effort of others, so you have no transferrable skills apart from perhaps selling watches on the streets in bangkok. So what?, rejoice in the fact that you have been making 6 figures for the last 8/9 years and when it does stop - which it will, you will have loads of good memories and an outstanding HP agreement on your sportscar to remind you of the good old days!

A lot of intelligent, educated and highly skilled IT contractors were sold down the river years ago and we've adapated. your turn next.
      They've
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        We are parasites and proud of it
        At least you are honest, which is strange 'coz agents are habitual liars!

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          He only seemed to be baiting you, the rest of us contractors have just been watching on with mild amusement
          What makes you feel you can speak for "the rest"? Did you ask each and every one of them?

Comment

Originally posted by Lolas Cat View Post
            What makes you feel you can speak for "the rest"? Did you ask each and every one of them?
            He's generalising like the person who started the argument.

Recruitment consultants, estate agents and solicitors plus even your local takeaway all provide a service for those without the time, without the inclination or even the ability to do those services for themselves.

You are not forced to use the services of any of these people by law but life is generally easier if you do. However for that easier life you have to pay the price.

Some of the prices are openly transparent like with your local takeaway or estate agent, some of the pricing is more complex like with a solicitor there as others deliberately try and hide the pricing like with some recruitment consultants.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Some of the prices are openly transparent like with your local takeaway or estate agent, some of the pricing is more complex like with a solicitor there as others deliberately try and hide the pricing like with some recruitment consultants.
              I hate to tell you this, but a local takeaway doesn't tell you the cost versus selling price, and wouldn't tell the suppliers of their food, the price at which they sell it. The reason for this, is that it is absolutely nothing to do with anyone, other than the person who is paying for it, and in that situation, the only figure which is even remotely important, is the selling price.
              "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
              SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
                I hate to tell you this, but a local takeaway doesn't tell you the cost versus selling price, and wouldn't tell the suppliers of their food, the price at which they sell it. The reason for this, is that it is absolutely nothing to do with anyone, other than the person who is paying for it, and in that situation, the only figure which is even remotely important, is the selling price.
                To be honest every single one of the examples has over heads and other things that they don't tend to reveal to the public in their selling price.

For example only when someone I knew someone who worked at a EA did I find out that they can wait up to 4 months to get paid their commission on a house sale plus the percentage they get out of the percentage the agency gets as a whole.

Most people don't care what the individual EA gets, whether the EA gets more because they are the owner, and when they get it because they only see the overall cost to them.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  To be honest every single one of the examples has over heads and other things that they don't tend to reveal to the public in their selling price.

For example only when someone I knew someone who worked at a EA did I find out that they can wait up to 4 months to get paid their commission on a house sale plus the percentage they get out of the percentage the agency gets as a whole.

Most people don't care what the individual EA gets, whether the EA gets more because they are the owner, and when they get it because they only see the overall cost to them.
                  But going back to the original subject, in the EA world, the buyer (who is essentially the contractor in this example) actually doesn't give a toss how much the EA charges the Seller.

Nobody reveals their margins in business, for exactly the same reason as recruitment agents don't - it has F All to do with anyone but the person paying the bill.

That person IS NOT the contractor. Ever.
                  "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
                  SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
                    But going back to the original subject, in the EA world, the buyer (who is essentially the contractor in this example) actually doesn't give a toss how much the EA charges the Seller.

Nobody reveals their margins in business, for exactly the same reason as recruitment agents don't - it has F All to do with anyone but the person paying the bill.

That person IS NOT the contractor. Ever.
                    EA vs. RA eh? 10 years ago i'd agree there was a comparison and I may even agree that RAs add value to the "sales cycle".

The difference is, that in my opinion, nowadays, the RA does NOT market the individual (like the EA does a house) and has no vested interest AT ALL in working for that individual. As the supply of contractors (=CV's) far outstrips the demand for roles.

Therefore, all the RA has to do is shoot fish in a barrel collecting CV's and all their effort is on building a relationship with the client and ensuring they win the business, rather than ensuring the contractor is in work.

And has the fee structure changed from 10+ years back when the RAs were on "our" side? No. so what's happened is the RA is now working for the clientco and sticking more in their pockets - thats my fundamental problem with RA's these days.

I would give my right arm (ok, so maybe my left...) to work with or for RAs who have the contractors interests at heart and market me like a house, but those companies no longer exist (for reasons I understand), so thats why I think the RA model should now reflect that and reduce their margins.
                    Cloud Computing - Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

EA vs. RA eh? 10 years ago i'd agree there was a comparison and I may even agree that RAs add value to the "sales cycle".

The difference is, that in my opinion, nowadays, the RA does NOT market the individual (like the EA does a house) and has no vested interest AT ALL in working for that individual. As the supply of contractors (=CV's) far outstrips the demand for roles.

Therefore, all the RA has to do is shoot fish in a barrel collecting CV's and all their effort is on building a relationship with the client and ensuring they win the business, rather than ensuring the contractor is in work.

And has the fee structure changed from 10+ years back when the RAs were on "our" side? No. so what's happened is the RA is now working for the clientco and sticking more in their pockets - thats my fundamental problem with RA's these days.

I would give my right arm (ok, so maybe my left...) to work with or for RAs who have the contractors interests at heart and market me like a house, but those companies no longer exist (for reasons I understand), so thats why I think the RA model should now reflect that and reduce their margins.
                      For all your abuse - this is actually quite a co-herent post.

What's your skill set? I know of a couple of places which still work in this way, and I'd happily put you in touch with them. The problem is, if you're not absolutely top drawer, they won't go down this route (it costs money, so they have to be selective).

You are welcome to PM your skill set if you'd rather not post in public.

TAV
                      SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Working...
                      X