• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client email account

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client email account

Most of the customers I've had have provided me with an email account under their domain name for communicating with their team and their customers, other suppliers etc. They typically insist on an email signature which incorporates their company details as there is some requirement for this in law (when emailing outside of their company). Obviously I'm not part of their organisation so I'm never sure what I should use for an email signature or even if I should somehow avoid using the email account, eg set up forwarding to my company email account. What do other people do?

It makes sense to comply 100% with all the clients email (and any other IT) policies.

If I am emailing on behalf of the client then I use their email account. If I am say emailing them an invoice I use my own.

Comment

I've no real problem about using the clients email system for emails about the work in hand. However I think its best to make a clear separation between emails you send to the get the job done and emails you send as part of running your own business.

All B2B stuff, e.g. contracts, invoices etc... go from MY company email account
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

There should be a part of your signature that indicates you are an external consultant either by the role name, which is more normal, or the fact that you can add your company to it.

For example on one of my client accounts everyone with my role is an external consultant/freelancer which some people external to the organisation and industry don´t realise. There as with another client they make sure by title and badge that it´s known within the organisation you aren´t a member of staff, and you don´t have direct contact with users whether internal or external on your own.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If I am emailing on behalf of the client then I use their email account. If I am say emailing them an invoice I use my own.
          I've no real problem about using the clients email system for emails about the work in hand. However I think its best to make a clear separation between emails you send to the get the job done and emails you send as part of running your own business.

All B2B stuff, e.g. contracts, invoices etc... go from MY company email account
          Agree. I already make this distinction in use of email accounts.

There should be a part of your signature that indicates you are an external consultant either by the role name, which is more normal, or the fact that you can add your company to it.
          I like this idea and was considering putting something like "Java Contractor" or "Java Consultant, My Company Name Ltd" as my role. I can see some clients objecting to their customers knowing that I'm a contractor where I have contact with them though. For example, they may want to give the appearance of having substantial experience in-house for providing support. Perhaps I should just go with it and see if the client complains!

Comment

Originally posted by javadude View Post
            I like this idea and was considering putting something like "Java Contractor" or "Java Consultant, My Company Name Ltd" as my role. I can see some clients objecting to their customers knowing that I'm a contractor where I have contact with them though. For example, they may want to give the appearance of having substantial experience in-house for providing support. Perhaps I should just go with it and see if the client complains!
            I wouldn't bother for risk of raising a stink. Just go with their process and keep your head down. Only takes one employee to accuse you of touting for work or using it as advertising to get your name mentioned in places you don't want it mentioning. There is no benefit to anyone doing this. If the client wants it he will tell you, if he doesn't then just comply.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I wouldn't put my company name in emails I send from ClientCo email, but I do have my job title with [Contractor] in brackets to make it clear I'm not part of the organisation (well, it doesn't make it clear, but it adds weight to the fact).

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
                Ibut I do have my job title with [Contractor] in brackets to make it clear I'm not part of the organisation
                My signature displays my job title prefixed with, "contract" - hopefully to make clear I'm not part of the organisation.
                However, as ClientCo recently stopped inbound and outbound emails to external addresses, it's a moot point now.
                And on the eighth day God said, "Okay, Murphy, you're in charge!"

Comment

Originally posted by javadude View Post
                  Depends on the client.

Some will accept you doing this. Others won't.

I would ask before putting anything in your email signature but try and do it in a way so not to get their backs up.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I wouldn't bother for risk of raising a stink. Just go with their process and keep your head down.
                    Agreed. If you get a company email address then you use that for client emails and don't put your own company name on it.

Timesheets, contracts etc can come from your business email.
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                    X