• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rates in France

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rates in France

Just had a pimp on the phone asking how much I would want for a Test Manager role working near Nice in the South of France. Haven't a scooby about rates there, does anyone know? I imagine the cost of living down there is a tad on the heavy side?

Any help appreciated - thanks.

Originally posted by Fac511 View Post
    Just had a pimp on the phone asking how much I would want for a Test Manager role working near Nice in the South of France. Haven't a scooby about rates there, does anyone know? I imagine the cost of living down there is a tad on the heavy side?

Any help appreciated - thanks.
    Seen plenty of roles advertised out there in "better times" and the rates were pretty poor even then, hence I never bothered. I guess the strengthening of the Euro against the Pound may make things a little better now? Why not get them to quote, then you can simply make your own mind up. TBH, I think it's one of those contracts you'd do for a short while just for the "experience" of it, but I doubt you'd make any money once you'd taken all your expenses into account.
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

In my line of work (Process Engineering) rates were up approaching 800 Euros a day but with the depeciation of the £, the rates in Euros have also nose dived such that less than 550 - 600 a day is top dollar now. Those rates were for Monaco, I presume you'd stay in France though for lodging. I've never bothered, I think travelling with EasyJet to Nice and commuting into/out of Monaco was more hassle than I could take to be honest.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

The rates tend to be rubbish.

The best rates are those where you only spend part of the time in France and the rest of the time in another country.

Also there is an issue if the role is completely in France where you have to pay French tax on it from the start of the role. There is no 180-183 day grace period like other countries.

You are best of getting role elsewhere in Europe.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          In my line of work (Process Engineering) rates were up approaching 800 Euros a day but with the depeciation of the £, the rates in Euros have also nose dived such that less than 550 - 600 a day is top dollar now. Those rates were for Monaco, I presume you'd stay in France though for lodging. I've never bothered, I think travelling with EasyJet to Nice and commuting into/out of Monaco was more hassle than I could take to be honest.
          Wow - Very interesting stuff

Can you explain what process engineering is please? I have a computer science degree and have not come across that

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedAussie View Post
            Wow - Very interesting stuff

Can you explain what process engineering is please? I have a computer science degree and have not come across that

My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

Ok- You re dead yes - Good.

A Phd in comp sci in fact

Heres wikipedia view

Process engineering (also called as Process Systems Engineering or Verfahrenstechnik in German) focuses on the design, operation, control, and optimization of chemical, physical, and biological processes through the aid of systematic computer-based methods. Process engineering is often regarded as a branch of chemical engineering and encompasses a vast range of industries, such as petrochemical, mineral processing, advanced material, food, pharmaceutical, and biotechnological industries.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

In fact that is better

A process engineer develops economical industrial processes to make the huge range of products on which modern society depends, including: food and drink; fuel; artificial fibres; pharmaceuticals; chemicals; plastics; toiletries; energy; and clean water.

Process engineers may work in small, medium and large businesses. The work is concerned with chemical and biochemical processes in which raw materials undergo change, and involves scaling up processes from the laboratory into the processing plant.

Responsibilities involve designing equipment, understanding the reactions taking place, installing control systems, and starting, running and upgrading the processes. Environmental protection and health and safety aspects are also significant concerns.
                An overrated farmer working in a lab - Great

Comment

Ok- You re dead yes - Good.
                  I wanted to make sure.

A Phd in comp sci in fact

Heres wikipedia view
                  And it took you that long to do a search on the 'net.

Most people with a PhD have sufficient pride to know how to spell it. So I do not believe you.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                  X