• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A few start up questions - registered address, invoicing, etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few start up questions - registered address, invoicing, etc

Hi,

I had been advised by another contractor friend that it might be better to use my accountant's address as my limited company's registered address instead of my home add. Just wondering if this is widely practised and if anyone thinks it's a major concern using the home add as a registered add.

I had also been sent a request by the employment agency asking my permission to allow them to prepare the invoice on my behalf each month. So I need to do is submit my timesheet and they will prepare the invoice and send me the payment. As I would like to ensure I stay outside of IR35, would it be better for me to prepare the invoice each month from my own company's letter head instead?

Last question, any thoughts on selecting a financial year end for tax reporting? Does it matter?

Appreciate your thoughts and guidance. Setting up the limited company is really overwhelming with so many little things to consider. Thanks in advance!

I use my accountants who do charge me 100 quid for the pleasure but makes it much easier when it comes to HMRC paperwork so suits me fine. Have always done this with no problems. You can have your home address as correspondence address so I don't miss anything that is actually due for me.

IR35 is for your working environment, mutual obligation etc etc... Don't think it will affect your invoicing but can you not supply them a blank and let them use it? Why do they want to prepare the invoices though? I don't think I would be overly happy with that unless they had a very good reason. If I **** up I am happy to shoulder it, I certainly wouldn't be happy if they cock it up. I do the work, I want to invoice... unless again, there is a very good reason for this... and it would have to be good. Ask them exactly why they want to do do this.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Last question, any thoughts on selecting a financial year end for tax reporting? Does it matter?
      I'd change it to April 1st, because this is when the corporation tax rate is set (it'll make life easier).

HM Revenue & Customs: Corporation Tax rates

Comment

IT sounds as though the agency is self-billing which is quite common practise. It doesn't mean that you don't need to raise and invoice (you should for the completeness of your accounts) but that you won't need to send it to them. See: HM Revenue & Customs
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Anastacia7 View Post
          Hi,

I had been advised by another contractor friend that it might be better to use my accountant's address as my limited company's registered address instead of my home add. Just wondering if this is widely practised and if anyone thinks it's a major concern using the home add as a registered add.

I had also been sent a request by the employment agency asking my permission to allow them to prepare the invoice on my behalf each month. So I need to do is submit my timesheet and they will prepare the invoice and send me the payment. As I would like to ensure I stay outside of IR35, would it be better for me to prepare the invoice each month from my own company's letter head instead?

Appreciate your thoughts and guidance. Setting up the limited company is really overwhelming with so many little things to consider. Thanks in advance!
          I've always used my accountants's address as my co's registered office. I'd recommend it every time but ask if they charge for this. Many accountants dont charge if they do your accounts and payroll.

Bear in mind if you use your own home address as the reg office, you'll get more junk mail addressed to the co being delivered at home and, it gives HMRC easier access to your home in any investigation they may do.

Regarding self billing, lots of places do it now. Just saves you having to raise an invoice. It has NO implication for IR35 purposes.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
            I'd change it to April 1st, because this is when the corporation tax rate is set (it'll make life easier).

HM Revenue & Customs: Corporation Tax rates
            31st March as a year end is quite common, and it makes it easier to check your company accounts against your tax return (dividends and P60). If you have an accountant it makes very little difference though as they will calculate the tax for you and should be able to explain everything if necessary.

A company year end defaults to the month it's incorporated, so if you set it up now it would be 31/10.

Registered office service is very common, and often free of charge.
            ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

yep, sorry 31st March

Comment

Working...
              X