• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this allowed by agencies?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this allowed by agencies?

I'm new to contracting finished my first contract 2 months ago. Last Wednesday I went for an interview I am still waiting to hear.

So far the agency concerned with the position has called me 3 times to make sure my situation has not changed and I am still available. Today I got another call from them first thing asking the same thing and saying they are having issues getting hold of the company and can I confirm that if I am offered it I will accept it so if they do offer it to me they will accept for me on my behalf and get paperwork out straight away, they were quite insistant on making me agree to accept now.

I was not happy with this and did not like the pressure obviously there trying to be hidden behind niceness and making it sound like they are doing me a favour! I never experienced it in my first role so not sure whether this is common practice and was not sure of the correct thing to say as they caught me unawares

To me this seems crazy for anyone to do this as whats to say they take ages to make a decision and I have found another role before then. I'm sure the agent will then kick up a huge fuss when I say no at that point as they will say I agreed to take it and verbally accepted??!!

Just say yes to the agent and then keep looking. If you accept another offer and the first agency also comes back with an offer, take whichever you prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by rsingh View Post
      Just say yes to the agent and then keep looking. If you accept another offer and the first agency also comes back with an offer, take whichever you prefer.
      WHS. Until you have signed a contract there is no problem with accepting something else. Just tell the agent you'll accept subject to contract.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by robin View Post
        So far the agency concerned with the position has called me 3 times to make sure my situation has not changed and I am still available.
        "Absolutely sir! I'm doing nothing else except waiting beside the phone to hear your offer."

If you are serious about taking the job then that's cool, but don't deliberately mess people about, it's not good form.

I confirm that if I am offered it I will accept it so if they do offer it to me they will accept for me on my behalf and get paperwork out straight away
        As Zippy said, "Yes, My LTD will accept subject to contract".

No legitimate business will misunderstand this statement. There are two key parts to this reply,

1. Your limited company is accepting the contract, not you personally. Always speak in the third person. They are engaging your company, not you. As director it is most likely that you will be the front man who carries out the work but the contract is between your company and the agent. Read that again because it's important.

2. Subject to contract means that you need to come to a mutual agreement on contract terms. If you don't want the contract then you can wriggle out of it by failing to agree terms when they present you with a standard contract and agencies hate changing their standard contract. Telling them you won't agree to working for the client exclusively through their agency is a real killer. Of course, if they are really dodgy then they'll try to get you to start work before the contract is signed. Don't ever start without a signed contract, there are numerous stories on here from people who have been burned by doing this.

I'm sure the agent will then kick up a huge fuss when I say no at that point as they will say I agreed to take it and verbally accepted??!!
        Oh yeah, they threaten all sorts of stuff - they do this sort of stuff all the time, it's their business. Remember, their threats/bluff/bluster are against your LTD company (which has limited liability so they won't get anything if they sue) so don't worry too much. You do need a thick skin when dealing with them sometimes though.

If you are unfortunate enough to have to turn them down after accepting (and I sincerely hope it doesn't come to this) then you are probably best to just tell them politely but firmly that you aren't going to take the contract and then ignore them until they give up and go away.

I always get a pre-paid burner SIM for my mobile and throw away email address when I'm job hunting. I don't want these guys hassling me once I'm home and dried with a nice juicy contract.

Good luck!
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
          I always get a pre-paid burner SIM for my mobile and throw away email address when I'm job hunting. I don't want these guys hassling me once I'm home and dried with a nice juicy contract.

Good luck!
          Because we're all stupid, and never remember your name after you've screwed us about - so of course next time you come begging for your next "juicy contract" we will just get on and find you one....

Seriously - is the relationship dead these days? Perhaps the recession is worse than I thought?

Spending review tomorrow - wooohooo
          "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
          SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
            Because we're all stupid, and never remember your name after you've screwed us about - so of course next time you come begging for your next "juicy contract" we will just get on and find you one....
            Sure you will.

Seriously - is the relationship dead these days?
            No offence intended but we never had a relationship, darling. It was the contracting equivalent to a drunken snog in a seedy bar. The agent gets the contractors number just in case something comes of it but the contractor ends up in a stable contract and the contact number is a burner. The contractor has no need to have 100 agents phoning up with a job that "exactly matches their skillset" but turns out to be a phishing trip. Don't call us, we'll call you if and when we ever need you again.

All my relationships are with previous clients who I respect and keep in touch with. I don't tend to have relationships with agents any more.
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
              No offence intended but we never had a relationship, darling. It was the contracting equivalent to a drunken snog in a seedy bar. The agent gets the contractors number just in case something comes of it but the contractor ends up in a stable contract and the contact number is a burner. The contractor has no need to have 100 agents phoning up with a job that "exactly matches their skillset" but turns out to be a phishing trip. Don't call us, we'll call you if and when we ever need you again.
              Yep, and that point, I'll tell you that I've got my eye out for you, and sling your CV in the bin. This is a two way street - we're not on call to work for you, and if you happen to call to say you're looking, expect to be Phished. People who I have a relationship, will always be interested in hearing about an opportunity. I will never phish amongst my own stock. The contractors I have long term relationships with (and some of mine date from the start of my career) know that opportunities I'm working on, could be worth them looking at, maybe for themselves, maybe for someone they know, or maybe for someone who they can run through their limited company and take a cut.

The reason some of you guys will always be one man band Ltd companies, is because you don't think laterally about these things. Some of the biggest consultancies in the world started off with one person taking day rate contracts, then building upon it by adding people into the equation, until there were enough people to start bringing in perm resource (fixed cost) - KPMG, Capita, Accenture etc etc all started out like this, or with a variation of it.

All my relationships are with previous clients who I respect and keep in touch with. I don't tend to have relationships with agents any more.
              Errrrrr.....well thats odd, because unless you have been contracting direct, then the only clients you have are agents/agencies.
              "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
              SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

The reason some of you guys will always be one man band Ltd companies, is because you don't think laterally about these things.
                Or because they are tied into agency contracts who don't think laterally about these things. Ever tried "adding people into the equation" when there's an agency handcuffing the deal? Blimming impossible. If you allow your contractors to bring in people to help within their ltd companies and increase their billing, without you getting first dibs on poaching them direct, then you're the only agent in the country who does.

Comment

Seriously - is the relationship dead these days? Perhaps the recession is worse than I thought?
                  Seems to be, from the agent's side.
                  There used to be a time when I'd discuss with an agent the projects I'd be interested in getting in on and I'd tell them the hiring managers name. Not now. I note the last few telephone calls from agents have resulted in my CV being plundered for leads.

If we are on contract that is client time, not time for conversations that don't lead anywhere. Most agents don't even have the manners these days to ask if it's a good time to talk. The fact they are not asking makes it quite transparent their call is for phishing.

Comment

In my opinion relationships with agencies cost nothing so why not cultivate them. For most people they're the best marketing tool you have and represent excellent value for money (as they don't actually cost the contractor anything). Sure there are some wide boys out there but even they might just come up with the gig that allows you to fill someone else and build your own business in the way being described. You don't have to like someone to have a good relationship with them.
                    The relationship I have with my current agent is excellent and has been for two and a half years (even though i've only been contracted to his company for less than two years). He looks out for me and I do my best to give the best service possible not only as a representative of my own company but his as well.
                    Net effect: we're both winners and make heaps of cash because clientco get the best service and keep coming back for more
                    Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Working...
                    X