• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this allowed by agencies?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To answer the OP (rather than moan about agents/contractors not running their lives the way we would like), why not tell the agent the truth? For example (if this is true) you could say that you will accept that contract if offered, subject to its terms being acceptable, and if you have not in the meantime accepted another offer; but much as you would like to get his contract, you will not stop looking elsewhere until you have a definite contract.

It's cheeky but understandable for him to ask you to take yourself off the market and wait for him, but you don't have to do so and you don't need to be rude in telling him so.
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
      To answer the OP (rather than moan about agents/contractors not running their lives the way we would like), why not tell the agent the truth? For example (if this is true) you could say that you will accept that contract if offered, subject to its terms being acceptable, and if you have not in the meantime accepted another offer; but much as you would like to get his contract, you will not stop looking elsewhere until you have a definite contract.

It's cheeky but understandable for him to ask you to take yourself off the market and wait for him, but you don't have to do so and you don't need to be rude in telling him so.
      Got to agree with this. I recently declined a contract when it came through because it had changed from a 6 month term to a 1 month term. Taking myself off the market would have been foolish. Haven't heard a peep from the agent since then but at least I declined the contract in a professional and polite manner, explained the problem and walked away knowing i did the right thing for my company. Hard on the agent as he had to start again but it happens.
      Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
        Or because they are tied into agency contracts who don't think laterally about these things. Ever tried "adding people into the equation" when there's an agency handcuffing the deal? Blimming impossible. If you allow your contractors to bring in people to help within their ltd companies and increase their billing, without you getting first dibs on poaching them direct, then you're the only agent in the country who does.

I'm not sure we're on quite the same page - Generally the reality of substitution is awkward -s o I see what you mean there, but, if you know someone for a job I'm working on at a different (or the same) client, and they get the contract, I'd happily allow you to put them through your limited company, and make your own arrangements in the background. I have people who do this - it's a quick solution for clients, and can be quite cost effective. The arrangements I have vary, but generally the guys take £25 per day on top of the daily rate for the paperwork. Some of them have 5 or 6 people working in the same limited company, so they make £625 per week just off of the people who work under the same company name.

Of those, I think some of them are sub sub sub contracted (ie my contractors Ltd,. pays their ltd co.) and some of them work on the payroll of the company.

Personally, I think it's one of the most effective ways of recruiting - I make my margin, you guys make a few quid, end consultant is working, and OK the client is paying a little more than they COULD, but without that incentive, they'd not have the calibre of person - Ultimately everyones a winner if the projects get delivered.

Rare? Maybe, but this is the way I'm paid to think.

Happy Friday everyone
        "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
        SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
          Errrrrr.....well thats odd, because unless you have been contracting direct, then the only clients you have are agents/agencies.

You may like to think that, but for me agencies just do the introductions then I take it from there. Yes, contractually speaking the agency sits between me and the client (mostly for legal reasons it seems) but I don't generally see that they add any value. If the client's PSL changes and a new agency comes along then I'm not going to cry about it.

No offence, because you appear to be one of the better ones but generally speaking agencies are two a penny. If a client wants me to come back and work for them I will negotiate the gig directly with the client then the client will put me up for grabs and which ever agency on the PSL that offers the smallest cut, sensible contract and reasonable payment terms will get the deal.

I'm sure there are times when agencies add value, but for my network of contacts I don't see the need to get back in touch with the client through an agency that I will end up being bound to use and possibly taking a rate cut because of it.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post

If a client wants me to come back and work for them I will negotiate the gig directly with the client then the client will put me up for grabs and which ever agency on the PSL that offers the smallest cut, sensible contract and reasonable payment terms will get the deal.
            Dear Hector.......
            "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
            SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
              Dear Hector.......
              FUD. The agent's friend.
              Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post

You may like to think that, but for me agencies just do the introductions then I take it from there. Yes, contractually speaking the agency sits between me and the client (mostly for legal reasons it seems) but I don't generally see that they add any value. If the client's PSL changes and a new agency comes along then I'm not going to cry about it.

No offence, because you appear to be one of the better ones but generally speaking agencies are two a penny. If a client wants me to come back and work for them I will negotiate the gig directly with the client then the client will put me up for grabs and which ever agency on the PSL that offers the smallest cut, sensible contract and reasonable payment terms will get the deal.

I'm sure there are times when agencies add value, but for my network of contacts I don't see the need to get back in touch with the client through an agency that I will end up being bound to use and possibly taking a rate cut because of it.

Yeah, I believe this is spot on. For the most part, agents don't do any more than introduce you to the end client. And the 'vast' majority of them are quite poor at both understanding the client, the requirements, and the skills of the contractor and matching them all together correctly. In other words, they don't truly understand what 'due diligence' means in terms of engaging in a contract, because at the first sign of trouble, they run for the hills.

I live for the day when I'll be able to engage ALL my clients directly rather than have to go through agents. Its already happening through arenas like LinkedIn.

To be fair, there are a couple of agents that I do like to pursue opportunities through but its few and far between, and its only because they do the due diligence thing well. But most don't and they prove an unfortunate hurdle to have to cross over to get to the real deal where you basically sell yourself into the client environment. For those of us who come from a career in working for consultancies and who have honed the 'opportunity development' thing well, we just wish the agents would get out of the way and lets us do our job !!!!

Comment

Working...
                X