• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I just completed a 1 day 'lift and shift' contract to get my SC clock renewed,.
    No it doesn't. It shows a number of people doing a days work to keep their SC renewed.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I have found my phone going crazy but it is always agents trying to convert me to perm work.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        No it doesn't. It shows a number of people doing a days work to keep their SC renewed.
        So the calibre of the people doing donkey work is not unusual? They'd be designing systems, migrating data or troubleshooting LAN/WAN if the market wasn't fecked Shirley?

The fact they haven't been able to maintain SC by doing their usual line of work is the big clue.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeye View Post
          I have found my phone going crazy but it is always agents trying to convert me to perm work.
          It just got me thinking.
          Shouldn't the agents do some of the contractor marketing for us?
          I mean as contractor change jobs more frequently, there's more cut for the agents on average?
          So the agents should get their phones busy convincing hiring managers to accept contractors instead.
          Aside from a few key positions and very short gigs there isn't that much difference work-wise between a perm and a contractor dev or a PM (except that permies get more work for less money of course)

Comment

Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
            It just got me thinking.
            Shouldn't the agents do some of the contractor marketing for us?
            I mean as contractor change jobs more frequently, there's more cut for the agents on average?
            So the agents should get their phones busy convincing hiring managers to accept contractors instead.
            Aside from a few key positions and very short gigs there isn't that much difference work-wise between a perm and a contractor dev or a PM (except that permies get more work for less money of course)
            I agree with that. Although they come across as well this is what I have and well you seem quite good so can I tempt you. It would probably a lot more effort for them to try to convince their clients to take on contractors. My calls when they suggest that are very short indeed.

Comment

Getting loads of calls from pimps but not getting through to interview stage...very frustrating, secured only one interview for next Monday!! It's a permie job, but I want to get into work before all the cuts come in and increase the competition even more later on in the year!!

Comment

Originally posted by wantacontract View Post
                Getting loads of calls from pimps but not getting through to interview stage...very frustrating, secured only one interview for next Monday!! It's a permie job, but I want to get into work before all the cuts come in and increase the competition even more later on in the year!!
                Sometimes, all it takes is one interview. Best of luck.
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

I was very pessimistic about the market only 1 week ago but it seems to be surprisingly resilient. I got an offer now at a rate I could never have imagined at its not too far away (60 miles).

Also managed to secure another 3 interviews - 1 abroad, 1 down the road and 1 down south.

Good luck to all those looking

Comment

I'm still getting calls about jobs I applied for in December offering me interviews, and I stopped applying and took my CV off the job sites a couple of weeks ago.

Been offered 3 roles, 2 perm, 1 contracting. Was going to take the contracting role but the last permie job I've been offered is more money than I thought I could earn in a permie job plus tons of training so it would be a better long term move.

Comment

I am in South Wales - loads coming up in the public sector which is surprising due to the fact I thought they were cutting back.

All want SC though which I do not have and, of course, the sharks have no interest in you without it.

Quite a few interesting roles coming up in the banks - I loathe canary wharf but I might be forced to head that way in the coming month.

Comment

Working...
                      X