• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Computer Futures

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    From a contractor standpoint, you should be worrying about your rate rather than the agency rate. Were you happy to accept the rate ? If yes, then take the job, if not, then don't. If you think the agency is artificially reducing your rate to line their own pockets, be prepared to tell them to do one and walk away.

Your second statement (bolded) about clothes manufacturers is somewhat understated. The clothing industry, particularly when it comes to 3rd world manufacture, makes Contracting Agents look like Father Christmas' over generous relatives !!
    Yes, quite right. However, I am, perhaps foolish enough to give my trust initially, until it is betrayed, then I withdraw it ... as I have now done!

And I disagree that, as a contractor, I should only be worried about my rate. I am part of the entire transaction. The Client has an expectation based on what they are paying. Where are the ethics if the majority of that expectation is disappearing into someone else pocket? Or maybe I'm just being far too old fashioned.

And yes, paying people a pittance as in the 3rd world is far more extreme than some of the business dealings over here. Does that make it any more ethically right or wrong? Just because the degree is different? So I disagree, it does not make agencies over here look like Father Christmas at all. That is a great of example using hyperbole to try to make a point. It makes agencies over here look like far smaller devils than the third world clothing retailers.

Comment

So negotiate the clause out of the contract.

Simple.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
        Very reasonable post. If you don't agree with the clause or the rate, don't agree the contract.
        At which point the agent will say:
        (A) I can't get someone at that rate, the real rate for this contract must be higher;
        or
        (B) I can't get anyone, there must be a skills shortage, we need more visas.
        Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Computer Futures

Fairly sure that the poster is quoting the client contract, as opposed to his service provider one.

You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to deduce neither took their obligations under the contract too seriously anyway.
          https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Only experience is talked to them on the phone. After I told the agent I just got a contract and didn't want to tell him the company I was going to. He got rude... so to add to this collective experience pool

Comment

I think progressive black listed me after I refused a contract through them. Never heard from them since.
              Computer futures, I have the feeling at least half of their ads are fake and loads are duplicates, the same ad but with a different region. Same ad over and over again like PM Buckinghamshire; PM Leeds; PM London

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                I think progressive black listed me after I refused a contract through them. Never heard from them since.
                Computer futures, I have the feeling at least half of their ads are fake and loads are duplicates, the same ad but with a different region. Same ad over and over again like PM Buckinghamshire; PM Leeds; PM London
                Count yourself lucky, regressive are a terrible agency, full of wide boys, fake roles a plenty and never get back to you. CF are not much better, whenever I see the same role advertised by a few agencies and one of them is Computer Futures.. their ad always has the lowest rate on (trouser-ing the extra £££ no doubt...)

Comment

I very much doubt that.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

We won't have blacklisted you. It makes no commercial sense, people turn down contracts all the time. It's business not personal.

We have a policy to not advertise false jobs, as well as having to comply with the Agency Regulations. Duplicates do happen, often adverts will get re-written for different audiences and refreshed. Will look into how bad this is for you.

If anyone can point me in the direction of any ads they suspect as fake via PM you have my assurance it will be investigated.
                    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Progressive were notorious a while back for sending me emails along the line of 'Hot Java Role in <location>, send your CV is now to be considered!!!' I did a few times (spending time on my CV and application as I always do) and chased up as well, never got back to me (the same wall of silence every time), never got a reply even though the role was an almost perfect match, won't go near them now.

The last contact I had with their Birmingham office I replied to yet another 'Hot Role' email with 'I don't consider roles from Progressive as I never get a response and have better things to do with my time' funnily enough haven't heard from them since...

Comment

Working...
                      X