• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Liabilty - IT contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    What if your system works really well 99.99% of the time but it has a latent problem then one day it goes wrong and since everyone trusts it, they don't double check and someone gets hurt then they try to blame you?
    I configure the clinical content, don't build etc. The structures are pretty clear where responsibility lies, particularly as unlike most of my colleagues I don't have a clinical qualification so cannot be professionally accountable for clinical decision making.

Comment

You're not liable unless you signed a contract saying you are. If you are working through an agency then your company (of which you are an employee, right?) should be at least supplying your services and warrantying they are fit for purposes and in line with best industry practice, etc.

There's a whole world of difference between Wipro supplying a Turnkey system and you doing a bit of coding on a day rate. That's why they charge £1k a day and you don't - it's all about reputation and warranties.

Oh and Penalty Charges are illegal at law - if you mean Liquidated Damages for late delivery, then they have to be a "genuine pre-estimate of losses" and are a Sole Remedy. In other words, if the project's late, LD's will be claimed and there's naff all else they can do.

Now, tell me, who signed the contract that contained the LD's?? Unless it was you personally, you're not liable.
      Last edited by Dearnla; 5 October 2010, 10:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Saddo View Post
        I'm sure we've all been guilty of making assumptions that everything is okay but had reason to doubt it later. I know I have - dodgy client who refused to sign the contract, I let it ride and he paid the first couple of months, then payments started slipping. I walked, he didn't pay for the final month and started making noises about my incompetence (to warn me off taking him to court with a winding up order). My legal brief looked at the situation and said that I would win no problem - but the company was nearly insolvent so I would spend thousands of pounds winning the case and get jack sh1t back. I took it on the chin, with a reminder that I would never do work without having a signed contract.
        If the company is insolvent then you won't get paid. What's the difference if you had a contract or not?
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

If the company is insolvent then you won't get paid. What's the difference if you had a contract or not?
          He was paying me with a personal cheque, not company cheque. There's the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Saddo View Post
            He was paying me with a personal cheque, not company cheque. There's the difference.
            Sounds like you had a (unwritten) contract between your LTD and him personally, result! I'd take him to court.
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Sounds like you had a (unwritten) contract between your LTD and him personally, result! I'd take him to court.
              Actually, you are probably right (as always), but it was so long ago that I really can't be arsed.

Comment

Working...
              X