• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How is iPhone? Contracting? Compared to contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is iPhone? Contracting? Compared to contracting?

It is supposed to be hot, but I think it is more like web-agency work than contracting,
    and if it is hot compared to say PHP, it is not necessarily good money compared to .NET contracting for example.

Are there contracting roles, comparable to other contracts?
    How are the rates for these (compared to .NET for example)

How is money generally? How much experience do you need to get in?

I am thinking of SDK/Monotouch.

(I am not thinking of selling apps through the app-store, but having the possibility to perhaps make a good chunk is part of my motivation)

Originally posted by Oscar View Post
    It is supposed to be hot, but I think it is more like web-agency work than contracting,
    and if it is hot compared to say PHP, it is not necessarily good money compared to .NET contracting for example.

How is money generally? How much experience do you need to get in?

(I am not thinking of selling apps through the app-store, but having the possibility to perhaps make a good chunk is part of my motivation)
    Dunno...have you tried searching Jobeserve for roles ....?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

It is possible to have a contract with a digital media agency

and if it is hot compared to say PHP
      Yes I believe the smart phone market seems to a growing a little bit.

it is not necessarily good money compared to .NET contracting for example.
      Supply and demand determine rates. How many resumes would you get for an ASP.NET developer role?

Yes there are contract roles which are like other contract roles.

Sometimes higher, sometimes lower and a few are exactly the same.

How is money generally?
      Money is generally good ... I still like money.

How much experience do you need to get in?
      You need a minimum experience equal to the experience stated on the job ad.
      Be careful not to put more than 2.5 years on your resume because the iPhone SDK has only been out 2.5 years.

I am not thinking Monotouch

(I am not thinking of selling apps through the app-store
      Good decision, concentrate on contracting.

but having the possibility to perhaps make a good chunk is part of my motivation)
      Oh flexible ... maybe you could charge the client for building apps AND then submit them as paid apps with the money going to your bank account. Kill two birds with one stone
      Last edited by temp444; 26 September 2010, 04:10.

Comment

Originally posted by temp444 View Post
        Be careful not to put more than 2.5 years on your resume because the iPhone SDK has only been out 2.5 years.
        That's REAL experience, not just how much you're prepared to lie about on your CV.

But if you are going to lie on your CV, don't worry about 2.5 years, or any limit like that. Interviewers will often not know how long technology has been around for.

If you're stupid enough to lie, you're stupid and greedy enough to believe that

Oh flexible ... maybe you could charge the client for building apps AND then submit them as paid apps with the money going to your bank account. Kill two birds with one stone
        I like that idea - it's greedy and probably will get you fired the moment you try it as it will be against your contract terms and conditions and you'll be competing against your client who hired you in the first place.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          I like that idea - it's greedy and probably will get you fired the moment you try it as it will be against your contract terms and conditions and you'll be competing against your client who hired you in the first place.
          I've done work where code is developed, the contract states that te author of the code retains copyright and licenses the client to use the code. As you say, it depends on your contract terms but it is not uncommon for this to happen. It depends if it's a business to business contract or a work for hire contract.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

It is possible to have a contract with a digital media agency

Yes I believe the smart phone market seems to a growing a little bit.

Supply and demand determine rates. How many resumes would you get for an ASP.NET developer role?

Yes there are contract roles which are like other contract roles.

Sometimes higher, sometimes lower and a few are exactly the same.

Money is generally good ... I still like money.

I am not thinking Monotouch

Good decision, concentrate on contracting.

Post of the week!
            This had me in stitches. I'm not sure whether it was meant to be funny though
            "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
            SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

It's definitely worth getting some experience with web development for mobile devices, at least for iPhone, iPad, Android smartphones and Opera Mobile on Symbian devices. More and more front-end roles have that as a requirement, which isn't surprising considering the slightly unanticipated sudden proliferation of those devices.

iPhone apps are a big deal at the moment and there's bound to be some short term cash to be made there, but it's a bit of a limited niche to waste a load of time on, especially when one bit of careful website development will give you an "app" which works across loads of devices in one go.

The mobile web is suddenly viable and isn't likely to go away. It's even useful to have olden days experience of dial up modem access when you had to keep everything as lightweight as possible. That's a big obsession now for a lot of clients and again isn't really likely to go away soon.

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
                Post of the week!
                This had me in stitches. I'm not sure whether it was meant to be funny though
                Yes, I was being very sarcastic ... I've been an iPhone contractor since mid 2008 and often get asked these kind of questions.

Comment

Working...
                X