• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stupid situation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we normally remember guys!!! and there will be no doubt notes on your candidate record...however we have to keep you guys onside so unless its a Muppet agency you will know they're pissed off with you but they should leave it as "you owe me one". If you're a decent guy you'll be ok.

I've contractors who have screwed me over and now "owe me one" who give me more info about what’s happening in the market than other contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN
      i.e. there is more than money that can help sway your decision.
      Exactly. If it was only about the money - I wouldn't do that. But the second offer was much better not only in terms of money - it's also right on my doorstep as opposed to long commuting of the firts offer; and, more importantly, it's much more interesting in terms of skills required.

Comment

[QUOTE=IT contract agent]we normally remember guys!!! and there will be no doubt notes on your candidate record...QUOTE]Candidate record? Most agents I've found can't remember what's on the CV that they're allegedly looking at, never mind things that happened in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaliD
          Exactly. If it was only about the money - I wouldn't do that. But the second offer was much better not only in terms of money - it's also right on my doorstep as opposed to long commuting of the firts offer; and, more importantly, it's much more interesting in terms of skills required.
          Then there is no 2 ways about it, just take the second offer that you much prefer. That's what 90% of people would do, and the agency will have to accept it and move on.

It might help alleviate the tension if you could recommend a colleague contractor to the agency for the first role.

Comment

As you work through an Umbrella, double check that you havent signed something that allows tham to agree contracts as your proxy ... if you have, and they have faxed the neccessary signed agreements, you may be in trouble.

That being said, should you wish to act in a mercenary way, give them an immediate weeks notice in writing, and try the other contract - of course, they may terminate you if you don 'fit in' and youll be stuffed...

Thems the breaks, chaps.
            Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Thanks guys,

I appreciate your suggestions.

Comment

Working...
              X