• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Careers advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Careers advice

OK, first post, so be nice...

I'm currently contracting in London, developer in ...wait for it... Pascal ! (Yup, there are a few of us left).

Contract's been rolling for 2 years so far (6 months at a time, due in December) but not sure if it will be renewed in December. Current system is end-of-life, replacement is in progress and I am one of the newer contractors here, so when the new system is fully on-line, I'll probably be out the door first

Now, I have been offered the option of going permie to work on the new system but at an un-sustainable 35% pay cut. I'll have to live on savings until I can get enough experience in the new tech to try for a contract and here's my problem...

The new tech is Ab Initio (anyone heard of it? Software by pictures, basically...), which is very niche because it is so expensive; only about 3 vacancies on Jobserve but has been going for at least 10 years. My company has hired about 5 new contractors recently to work on this so they're not likely to want to keep all of us...

So, options are:

1. Go permie

2. Wait and hope that I get renewed. Also tiny possibility they might keep all the existing contractors on anyway and train us in the new tech (unlikely though).

3. Go for a support contract (that's what I used to do before developing, 2 years ago). Don't enjoy it (rotas, callout, weekend work etc) but lots of jobs...

Ideas, Oh Worthy Ones...

A 35% drop in rate to go permie is unsustainable? How are you calculating that 35%... if in terms of daily rate then that's a bit worrying to me if you can't live on a permie salary.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Would have to agree with d00hg in that I am not sure why you say a 35% rate cut for going permie is unsustainable.

Unless, of course, you have a high class hooker and drugs habit in which case it's understandable.

Remember, you are only permie as long as you (and your employer) want (you) to be.

Based on the info provided, I'd go permie as December/January is one of the worst times to be job/contract hunting.

Use the time to skill up on the new tech and also to see if you can sneakily learn other more marketable development skills.

Come the Spring when the market tends to pick up, start checking the job listings for alternative options.

Oh, and whatever you do, forget about going back into support as most of it has been off-shored and anything left is priced accordingly.

Comment

I would not go support. Off-shoring, low rates etc. are reasons why.

I know Ab Initio. I had some dealings in it back in 2003 at a telco where I was doing some data analysis work. It's on my CV as simply, 'exposure to Ab Initio' and I get calls from time to time about it. Very niche; might be a good idea to pursue but I would also ensure you have more mainstream skills as well. You can set yourself up nicely if you play your cards right now.

P

Comment

Working...
        X