• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Invoice will be paid by" payment term in contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theroyale View Post
    Is it "ok" (i.e. is it done, standard etc etc) for contractors to enforce a "pay within x days" clause in their contracts? If so how many days? In an ideal world if I am invoicing weekly and an agency tells me verbally "We normally honour your weekly invoice by friday next", i.e. 10 days, then I'd like to see that go into my contract.
    Yes it ok. My normal demands are:
    Invoice weekly: Pay within 30 days or less
    Invoice monthly: Pay within 7 or 14 days or less (depends on how good/solvent agency is)

Basically keep my exposure down to 5-6 week's or less

Never accept payment dependant on 3rd party (client) paying anywhere in contract

Never accept the verbal/email "we normally pay in .." stuff, if agent is not willing to put it in the contract i don't accept contract.

Only takes one agency/client folding in your career to make you very forceful/adamant on such things

Comment

by default it's 30 days unless otherwise stated. The agency will know this full well....
      Ah, the b******s!

Thanks for all the replies; will make sure I get a payment clause into my contract from now on...

Comment

Your best position to argue is to show a pattern of payment over the life of the contract. So if you were there for six months and all invoices (bar the last one) were paid within XX days of invoicing, then you can argue that this was 'accepted' by both sides as an implied term of the contract. As such, you could legally enforce that term in court. I would provide the agency with a reminder of this pattern and that you wish to affirm that payment approach and that they honour it.

And unless there is a term in the contract that clearly states payment to yourself is dependent upon payment from the client - most usually are tied to the provision of a signed timesheet - the agency cannot withhold payment.

In cases where the agency doesn't pay, and are adamant about not paying, then I typically inform them I will contact the client within XX days and serve the invoice upon them, and withhold intellectual property rights until payment is made, meaning the client cannot use your work products until they have paid for them. Works brilliantly.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          If you're a public sector permie, maybe...
          So you work for the fun of it then?

The point of running a business is to generate profit. Providing a service to a client is merely a means to that end.
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            So you work for the fun of it then?

The point of running a business is to generate profit. Providing a service to a client is merely a means to that end.
            It's highly unprofessional to say getting the money is more important than doing the work. That suggests if you can cut corners and do shoddy work without the client noticing, you should since it's a better profit/time reward.
            A craftsman should take pride in their work.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              It's highly unprofessional to say getting the money is more important than doing the work. That suggests if you can cut corners and do shoddy work without the client noticing, you should since it's a better profit/time reward.
              A craftsman should take pride in their work.
              Providing shoddy work to the end client risks profit so for that reason cutting corners is a no-no
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
              X