• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies changing CVs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agencies changing CVs?

Anyone got any experience of agencies changing their CVs? I've seen two now -- one copy/pasted text only and removed all the formatting. The other wanted to change the style and layout at the top of the first page.

Whose CV is it?! Mine or theirs?

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by super
    Anyone got any experience of agencies changing their CVs? I've seen two now -- one copy/pasted text only and removed all the formatting. The other wanted to change the style and layout at the top of the first page.

Any thoughts?
    I always send mine in PDF format so they can't change it.

If they try and insist on Word format just tell them that you don't have it but you'd be willing to install it if they are prepared to pay for it. That's usually the end of that direction to the conversation.
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by super

Any thoughts?
      I always take copies to an interview - and give them to the interviewers as I know some agencies change them. Years ago one agent increased my experience from 2 to 10 years on one vendors product. The trouble with this was that the vendor had only been in business for the 2 years - it certainly paid that day to have the real CV on me as the question was asked how come 10 years experience.

It is your CV especially if you put a copyright notice on it.

Comment

Originally posted by privateeye
        I always take copies to an interview - and give them to the interviewers as I know some agencies change them. Years ago one agent increased my experience from 2 to 10 years on one vendors product. The trouble with this was that the vendor had only been in business for the 2 years - it certainly paid that day to have the real CV on me as the question was asked how come 10 years experience.

It is your CV especially if you put a copyright notice on it.
        Yes, I went to an interview recently where I handed over copies of my CV and they said 'Oh, we didn't know it looked like that'. The copy they had was 'agency branded' all across the top.

Comment

I do the same as Bob and send 'em a pdf. If they don't like it, too bad. There's always another gig in the pipeline.

Comment

The rule of thumb is to take your CV along to the interview. Putting copyright notices on them or insisting on pdf format when they want Word is likely to result in a non-introduction and lies from the agency saying they have represented you. Being bolshy will probably backfire.

What is most important is to take your written references along to the client at interview and tell the client that these are the only references forwarded to the agency and will be and that verbal backups are only permitted once the gig has been offered and contracts signed. Point out how good they are if they sit on the desk upread whilst you're there. Even read them out if they are short.

If the agent then puts someone forward cheaper and tries to charge the client the same fee intending to pocket the additional mark up themselves and tries to slag you off to the interviewer or HR for having poor references as an excuse for their change in mind, then the client will know otherwise and will have written proof.

Always take your interviewers direct contact details too on the basis that you might have further questions to ask after the interview (provided you thought it went well). Most will do that. In fact the reason for asking for these is to double check with the client if the role is 'put on hold' by the agent or some other phoney excuse given that doesn't ring true and to check that the agent didn't tell him that you are no longer available.

If you check and the agent has lied, then don't hesitate to go direct if the client suggests it or go through another preferred PSL agency if they agree and still want you. The agent deserves to be stabbed in the back because they stabbed you first. I wouldn't advise you do this if the agent hasn't lied though, or the client appears to be agreeing with the agency over what they said about you even if you don't believe them, because you don't want to be viewed as the backstabber or exploiter in case further opportunities arise with them in the future. Don't forget most clients will collude with agents most of the time, not work against them.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
              The rule of thumb is to take your CV along to the interview. Putting copyright notices on them or insisting on pdf format when they want Word is likely to result in a non-introduction and lies from the agency saying they have represented you. Being bolshy will probably backfire.

What is most important is to take your written references along to the client at interview and tell the client that these are the only references forwarded to the agency and will be and that verbal backups are only permitted once the gig has been offered and contracts signed. Point out how good they are if they sit on the desk upread whilst you're there. Even read them out if they are short.

If the agent then puts someone forward cheaper and tries to charge the client the same fee intending to pocket the additional mark up themselves and tries to slag you off to the interviewer or HR for having poor references as an excuse for their change in mind, then the client will know otherwise and will have written proof.

Always take your interviewers direct contact details too on the basis that you might have further questions to ask after the interview (provided you thought it went well). Most will do that. In fact the reason for asking for these is to double check with the client if the role is 'put on hold' by the agent or some other phoney excuse given that doesn't ring true and to check that the agent didn't tell him that you are no longer available.

If you check and the agent has lied, then don't hesitate to go direct if the client suggests it or go through another preferred PSL agency if they agree and still want you. The agent deserves to be stabbed in the back because they stabbed you first. I wouldn't advise you do this if the agent hasn't lied though, or the client appears to be agreeing with the agency over what they said about you even if you don't believe them, because you don't want to be viewed as the backstabber or exploiter in case further opportunities arise with them in the future. Don't forget most clients will collude with agents most of the time, not work against them.
              Do you automatically go into confrontation mode whenever you speak to an agent Denny?

I tend to find that the better contractors rarely get hung about agencies simply because they tend to land most of the jobs that they get put up for. In these cases where the contractor impresses ther is little an agency can do to make life difficult.

If a contractor is good an agency will not be able to afford to ignore him/her.

Iget the feeling Denny that maybe the problems that you have had to make you so bitter and twisted are more to do with you than any agency or hiring manager.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I agree that getting the client's contact details is useful (so you can put them on the corporate Christmas card list, of course) but as to reading your references out to them I think you have plain lost the plot there, Denny.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                  Do you automatically go into confrontation mode whenever you speak to an agent Denny?

I tend to find that the better contractors rarely get hung about agencies simply because they tend to land most of the jobs that they get put up for. In these cases where the contractor impresses ther is little an agency can do to make life difficult.

If a contractor is good an agency will not be able to afford to ignore him/her.

Iget the feeling Denny that maybe the problems that you have had to make you so bitter and twisted are more to do with you than any agency or hiring manager.
                  It's true a good agent will realise that a good contractor will always get a gig if put forward. Therefore even if the agent seriously dislikes the guy he will take it on the chin as ultimately he is measured by his sales and not how many of his placements he goes for a beer with.

Comment

references

No one is going to give a bad reference for fear of landing themselves in trouble. references tend to be used to check work history and have little to do with "how good is he/she".

References are there for agencies to use as canvassing material and that is it

Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X