• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking for advice on what rate to ask for

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for advice on what rate to ask for

I have an interview coming up for a SQL DBA/Analyst position that was originally advertised as a fixed rate contract (i.e. employee) at £32K pro rata for 6 months. I've negotiated with the employer to hire me as a contractor through a limited company, but I'm not sure what rate to ask for assuming all goes well at interview.

I don't know how much does it actually costs a company to employ someone on £32K. The basic equivalent is about £20/hr or £160/day according to a calculator on the internet, but AFAIK that doesn't take into account that they don't have to pay holiday, sick, employee benefits etc. How much I could realistically increase that by?

Originally posted by djp View Post
    I have an interview coming up for a SQL DBA/Analyst position that was originally advertised as a fixed rate contract (i.e. employee) at £32K pro rata for 6 months. I've negotiated with the employer to hire me as a contractor through a limited company, but I'm not sure what rate to ask for assuming all goes well at interview.

I don't know how much does it actually costs a company to employ someone on £32K. The basic equivalent is about £20/hr or £160/day according to a calculator on the internet, but AFAIK that doesn't take into account that they don't have to pay holiday, sick, employee benefits etc. How much I could realistically increase that by?
    £300. Min.

EDIT: per day, not per hour.
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Don't equate a rate that is equivalent. That is for hidden permies. Go research the market, find what other guys are getting, find what the going rate is, plump in for 50-100 quid more and then negotiate him down. Permie rates tend to stay pretty fixed and once your in they vary rarely end up matching the skill set i.e. the new guys getting more cause they won't up you yearly to keep up.

Contractor rates fluctuate depending on a number of things and in a boom time you are gonna look like a right chump plumping for the equivalent of a low permie rate when contractor rates are high.

You are not a permie anymore. Quote what the going rate is for skills and sod the equivalent. If he needs a good contracter he will pay the going rate for it.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Don't equate a rate that is equivalent. That is for hidden permies. Go research the market
        I agree with that.

Unless the company is HMRC. In that case, the rule of thumb is apparently to divide the annual salary by 60, and that's the equivalent day rate.

Comment

They will try and negotiate any offer you make downwards. Make them an offer. If you aren't embarrassed by your first offer, you're charging too little.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'll play it by ear with this in mind and I'll let you know how I get on.

Comment

"Looking for advice on what rate to ask for"

Whatever you can get away with

HTH
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
              X