• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

agencies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

agencies

Hi Guys, i'm new here and new to the world of contracting. i'm about to get made redundant (i'm a cisco infrastructure and IPT engineer based in the north west CCNA-v, CRMCS and SC cleared) and contracting might be an option for me. can anybody point in the direction of some decent agencies to register with please??
    preferably some that can not only help me with placements but also give me a guiding hand with regulations etc.

thanks

Just put your cv on Jobserve, Jobsite, Technojobs, etc and they'll find you. You don't need to register with them per se......
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 18 September 2019, 16:16.
    Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by andyb99 View Post
      Hi Guys, i'm new here and new to the world of contracting. i'm about to get made redundant (i'm a cisco infrastructure and IPT engineer based in the north west CCNA-v, CRMCS and SC cleared) and contracting might be an option for me. can anybody point in the direction of some decent agencies to register with please??
      preferably some that can not only help me with placements but also give me a guiding hand with regulations etc.

thanks
      Sorry I missed that bit....
      Blood in your poo

Comment

thanks
        You are asking to be screwed by agencies. You need to do the research yourself now.

For starters:
        1. Go to CUK Navigation (It's over there on the right) and select "First Timers" click on it and have a read of all the links under it.
        2. Then when you have a question come back here and use the "search" facility. Nearly every question that you would think to ask about contracting in the UK has been asked and answered on here more than a few times.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

i'm about to get made redundant
          Sorry to hear that..
          and contracting might be an option for me.
          Welcome
          decent agencies
          Oxymorons..Sorry, no such agencies exist..
          to register with
          As some of the replies stated, apply for some jobs matching your skillset and exp, and you will be auto-registered.

(Agency) regulations
          1. Lying
          2. Misrepresentation
          3. Holding back CVs (promising, but not forwarding CVs)
          4. badgering

I could go on..

Oh, yes not to forget two (or more) references

Comment

As well as the CUK one, download the Guide to Freelancing from www.pcg.org.uk and have a very careful read.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Agencies are not there to help you - they are there to make money for themselves.
              Agencies will screw you and the client for every penny they can get.
              Agents are not your best friend, although they may act that way. They will screw you for everything they can get until you are no longer useful.
              Read the top thread above (Sticky: I just need to get two references ...) in regards to agencies and references.
              Read the thread by Richard Cranium in regards to agency behaviour - can't find it - it will be an eye opener.
              Learn to do things for yourself - contractors are supposed to have a high degree of independence.
              You are fresh meat to an agent. Prepare to learn some very harsh lessons very quickly.
              I only know three decent agents out of the hundreds that I have dealt with.

Good luck

Comment

WTAS, get your CV looking good, forget the waffle, break it down into projects if you mostly worked at one place.
                What difference did you make ? extra revenue generated, reduced outages, more stable platform etc. detail this.
                Get on the job boards twice a day, post your CV on minus address, setup your linked-in profile and contact anyone you can think of, send tailored CV that is an exact match for the role in the advert - 80% will not cut it these days.
                Go junior to get a stepping stone.
                Good luck.

Comment

good luck

Join the pcg.
                  Home | PCG
                  Check out Business support, information and advice | Business Link and Companies House

Do not trust agencies as far as you can kick them. Even worse now as some agencies have merged, into larger more ruthless ones.

I bet you end up back at the place you are being made redundant from, but as a contractor.
                  Last edited by Contractor UK; 18 September 2019, 16:17.

Comment

Further advice:

Don't listen to everything on CUK, you'll never get an agent to work in your interests with alot of the advice given out on here.

Everytime you hear the word "Agency or agent" in a slagging match on here, reverse it, and realise that we see contractors in the same way - it's easier if everyone understands that all parties have their eyes on one prize..... Money.

Don't expect all agencies to be good - but don't be closed minded enough to think we don't want to place you - ultimately, without contractors working, an agency or agent, makes NO MONEY.
                    "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
                    SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Working...
                    X